Platinum Revs and Motherboard OC'ing Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobafett573

In Runtime
hey i found out tonight that my motherboard ddr ram voltage only goes up to 2.7 volts. i checked the asus faqs and they said:

After updating to BIOS version 1005, I still can't adjust DDR RAM Voltage to 2.8V on K8N-E Deluxe v1.04 motherboard. Why?

K8N-E Deluxe PCB Revision 1.04 motherboard does not support this new feature. However, PCB revision 1.05 with BIOS 1005 or later will support adjusting DDR RAM Voltage to 2.8V.

so my question is what is a pcb revision? i got bios 1.06 so i'm up to date on that. is a pcb revision a change in the motherboard design? am i stuck with my 2.7 volts then? do you think 2.7 volts is enough to OC my platinum revs a bunch?

yes PCB is a change in motherboard design, it's the actual board itself.

PCB = Printed Circuit Board

2.7v will only get you so far unfortunately, you will be able to overclock but you're either not going to get very far on decent timings or you'd really have to loosen them up to hit the higher speeds with little voltage

ok, right now i'm up to 230Mhz FSB with cpu frequency multiplier at 8x and timings are 2.5-3-3-7 at 2.7v. What should i loosen the timings to now or should i just stick with what i got now?

I believe that the Rev2s use a default DIMM voltage of 2.7v so I think you'll hit a wall fairly soon. Especially with TCCD, that stuff just loves voltage and can easily handle 3v+.

I would ditch the Asus personally, Rev2 should be able to hit at least 280MHz if the board doesn't limit voltage.

Yea i would ditch the board myself. you need something that at least supports 3v or more to make those rev2s really scream! I would suggest NF4 board or somehing

Especially with TCCD, that stuff just loves voltage and can easily handle 3v+.
Nah TCCD's are meant for pretty high FSB's with low wattage and decent timings, it's the BH-5's that wallow in juice, but he'd need atleast 2.9v DIMM to get them to hit 275MHz.

230 aint bad on 2.7v really, I'd say leave it at 2.5-3-3-7 and see how far it'll go for you, if not that, then try something like 3-3-3-11

11? are you sure cause thats really loose! thast like one of the girls in my school loose man!
If you knew about overclocking RAM and what each of the numbers meant and how it effects overclocking you wouldn't be shocked by that suggestion ;)

Heres some reading for you kiddies:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3393

Charles - you need to check out xtremesystems.org where theres a lot of overclocks being done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom