Physical Fan Settings - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 12:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to hawaiian style
Default Physical Fan Settings

I read this guide to make your computer cooler. The main point of the guide was to close all holes because dust is the main reason for heat.

I am wondering, is it better to have your fans combined with a cheap air filter and have them sucking air in, or turn them around to have them blowing air out?

I use GPU-Z and the temps they give me are 48c/40c Idle and shoot up to 52c/44c when I am gaming.

if anyone can help me out with this, please do. Thank you.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Re: Physical Fan Settings

well your temps are nothing to worry about, they are actually quite low for gfx cards. and also one thing you need to keep in mind is balancing your intake and output. If you have a bunch of fans sucking in air, and only a couple blowing air out, you're gonna have a high pressure area which isn't good for cooling, and opposite with the other way. so you have to balance out air flow.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Ok, that is good news about my temps.
I use the Antec Twelve Hundred Black ATX Full Tower Computer Case (Newegg.com - Antec Twelve Hundred Black ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases) but the bottom fan does not work when I got it, but I have the front fan sucking in air, and there is a fan in the back blowing and also the top fan blowing (heat rises) and I have 1 PCI slot fan under my Graphics card.
Comments?
Old 07-19-2008, 05:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

i would suggest getting an intake fan that works, other wise you might be having an air displacement issue.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Ok, Thank you.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

no problemo.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to CrazeD Send a message via MSN to CrazeD

You generally want equal intake/exhaust fans. But, depending on your needs, you can go more one way. More intake creates positive air pressure within the case, which means it pushes air out of all the holes/vents. More exhaust creates negative air pressure which means air is sucked in through all the holes/vents.

Usually more exhaust tends to be better, but it really doesn't matter a huge amount. Most people do front+side as intake, and rear+top as exhaust.

Intel Q9400 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3P | G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1000 | XFX HD5870

Need website help? PM me!
Closed Thread