Perhaps you could enlighten me (about my case fans that is)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hutchy

Solid State Member
I'm considering getting Thermaltake's Hardcano 13 fan controller. And from what I understand, it is neccessary to have a fan that uses a third wire in addition to the standard two if you want to read rpm's. However, if there are only two wires you can still adjust the fan's speed with such a device as that aforementioned. Correct?

So I'm browsing around newegg's fan selection.

Certain fans have a single 3pin connector with three accompanying wires. Fair enough, that just plugs right into the back of Tt's 13 and I'll see changing rpm's as I adjust the speed. No?

Others have a 3pin connector with only the yellow wire leading to it and an additional 4pin with the two power wires. So the 3pin goes to the controller and the 4pin just hooks up to a free lead from the psu? And I'll still be able to adjust speed and see rpm's even though the fan is not getting power through the controller?

Any explanation you may provide will be appreciated.

Also, how about those fans? I'm looking for 80mm quiet with respectable volume. Nothing obtrusive. And of course full compatiblity with Tt's Hardcano 13 or similar device.

Since no one else has tackled this I'll help you out

Generally with man controllers you should have:

PSU > 4 Pin Molex Connector > Fan Controller > 3 Pin Fan Connector > Fan

You have one molex connector powering the controller, with numerous 3 pin leads that connect and power the fans. Any fan connected to the fan controller will be able to speed up or slow down, as the fan controller regulates the voltage going through said channel. However, without the yellow wire, your fan will not give off RPM readouts.

The vantec tornado is a good fan that moves a solid amount of airflow, of course I wouldn't turn it up all the way since it outputs like 50dba.

50dba? Holy hell that is loud. I just use several Aspire 80mm fans, I have lots of 3 pin connectors on this mobo, keeps the air going, and is relatively quiet.

Looking at newegg's picture of vantec's tornado, I see a 3pin connector with only the yellow wire for rpm's and then a separate 4pin molex with the black and red for power. How would this hook up to the fan controller so I can both adjust speed and monitor rpm's? Is such a configuration not possible with the given connectors? Forgive me if I appear to be asking the same question over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom