Pentium II passive cooling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldIndustries

Daemon Poster
Hey,
My lucky day, someone gave me an old system.

- Pentium 2 366MHz Processor
- Some Intel Slot 1 motherboard, I haven't checked yet
- 32 MB SD RAM
- SIS PCI Video Card
- PCI Network
- PCI Sound
- 20 GB Hard Drive
- Generic PSU

This thing was PACKED full of dust, but I cleaned it out today, before even trying to turn it on. Took 2 hours, but now it's spotless. So I turn it on, and the CPU fan is ROARING. I think the motor must be burnt out. The only other fan in the computer is the PSU Fan, which is also kinda' noisy, but I'm going to switch it out with an Enermax noiseless later, and add another fan to the chassis. It's also one of those really heavy aluminum cases that are pretty quiet once the like 10 kilo one-piece cover is on.

So this has potential to be a really silent computer, except for the CPU fan. It's a Slot 1 366MHz, and I'd like to know if I can take the CPU fan off and run it without one? Or would I need to underclock? (which would make the computer pretty much useless)

i had a pentium 3 passive no fans at all the hard drives were the only noise it was a roasting about 55c temps and 47 ambient. you should be able to do a passive

Well most older pentium's dont even need Fans on the heatsink but if it came with a fa then probaly yeah.What size is it plus does it matter if it is silent youll be banging the keyboard to get it to load.

You DO need a fan or a good passive heatsink for a p2. You can probably buy one on an online retailer. Do not just disable the fan and let it run though, it will work for a while but will destroy it eventually.

Where are you located at, I have many parts for that old beast, that are about to be sent to the landfill. (RAM, processors, heatsink w/ fan), let me know. I'd be happy to send it for cost of shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom