Pentium 4 heatsink question

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolecho

Beta member
I had to remove a new P4 with heatsink from a bad board , which will be reinstalled later on a new board. When I pulled up the heatsink the CPU was stuck to the heatsink and came up with it. Luckily the pins are not damaged. I carefully pried the CPU off of the heatsink for later reinstall. Should I remove the old compound from the CPU and heatsink, and replace it with new stuff? The P4 was brand new and only ran for 30min or so.
Thanks

Always clean the CPU and the heatsink when you seperate them, and then reapply new thermal paste before use (or it will be a very short run...).

Oh yeah... Remove all compound with medicinal quality 99.9% isopropyl alcohol. Clean both heatsink and CPU very carefully... Then reapply (i recommend) Artic Silver 5. It's about $10.00 per tube. Each tube is enough to cover about 10 - 15 CPU's. It's the best you can get.

Have Fun.

Thanks for your replies! Glad I stumbled into this forum. Found a good deal on Arctic at Xoxide.com.

Yes you definitely have to remove the stuff. If you seperate the heatsink and CPU and then just put them back together without reapplying compound then you are letting air in. That's exactly what you don't want.
I found arctic silver 5 cheap at xoxide too. Got it for like $5 extra with my Zalman 7700-Cu, as opposed to like $12 it costs at newegg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom