peltier device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comdot

In Runtime
i mentioned this in another thread but thought i'd make a whole post about it. i'm no expert so this is either a red herring for me or perhaps a major cool DIY component!!

i saw this on ebay and it looks like it might have potential as a component in the water cooling system, but i can't think where. it's a peltier device. i don't think it can be used without water cooling as too much heat is created nearby. take a look! i might be wrong but i think it has major potential in chilling the water that pumps round the whole system. a fan can only cool to room temperature but this thing, i think, can freeze your fingers off!!!

nearly forgot, this one's made in the uk but there's a u.s. manufacturer, Marlow. i think i read it's the same type of system used on the space shuttle to take heat away from the outer panels!!

Some water coolers are using them as a substitute for large radiators. Due to the fact that they chill to sub ambient (can be sub freezing depending on wattage) the biggest problem is condensation. Circuts + ionized water = bad. They are nifty and you can use one between your processor and heatsink but you need to spray your mobo with a clear coat acrylic to prevent the condensation from accumulating and shorting out your system.

One side is hot and one side is cold right? As long as you keep the hot side, cool....you don't really have to worry about condensation?

The condensation occurs when the cool side reaches sub ambient temps, just like a glass of cold water. Peltier devices will chill to zub freezing during idle loads on a processor.

Well one of the good(maybe bad) things about peltiers is that they actually are subambient, so if you cool past the ambient temp you will get condensation.

*grrr, beaten by mere seconds.

It only takes a little water proofing to make it safe, technically you could just coat the rim of the processor in silicon and let the remaining water evaporate normally, the conductivity of water is highly over rated.

tell that to the guy in the bathtub when his radio falls in with him lmao.

But thats salty water. Pure water, which most condensation is, doesnt conduct very well. People get fried in bathtubs because of the salt content added by the body.

Exactly, the only factors from condensed water that would make it conductive is the dust on your components and the ionization of the components them selfs into the water, thus creating conductivity. On the atomic level pure water (i mean very pure as in de-ionized) is very harsh on components, it steals ions from the board itself increasing the waters conductivity. I read a great artical about all this somewhere, I will try to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom