Peltier Cooling, Whats the Catch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
what setup are you going to use for the 3dm01 setup?

you have:

74353.00 - Conroe E6700 @ 4308, ATI X1900XTX CF @ 792/891

to beat.

The catch is, the peltier will make the CPU below room temperature (I can't remember, but I think it is 26*C difference.) thus you get condensation forming which equals, bye bye CPU/motherboard.

You also need to purchase watercooling and to have a dedicated PSU for it really.

Visit xtremesystems for more info about it. There is very few people who know anything about this here. And I don't believe anyone has tried it.

short and to the point, trifid basically summed it up.

you need to condensation proof the motherboard using something like a silicon based compound (e.g. conformal coating) using neoprene and foam where necessary and using dielectric grease on the cpu socket. it is not really an easy method of cooling.

i think i remember reading a thread by Cathar (designer of the storm water block) on OCAU where he was experimenting with using a peltier to cool liquid in a water loop rather than using the waterblock to cool a peltier and the system sat around -1 or -2 degrees.

i think dry ice is about -40 degrees C but i'm not sure how efficient it is in cooling.

what setup are you going to use for the 3dm01 setup?

you have:

74353.00 - Conroe E6700 @ 4308, ATI X1900XTX CF @ 792/891

to beat.
There's different categories I believe. There should be one for Socket A boards as we're using an XP-M to bench with. Naturally latest CPU and latest GPU will produce greater results :)

but i'm not sure how efficient it is in cooling
Pretty efficient. Sub-zero temps and I think a 5lb block will last something like 8 hours. Plenty of time for some suicide benching :D

well, I know the idle temps are sub-zero, but the full load temps MIGHT start creeping up to 0, not sure if it goes over or not. Don't think I've seen to many dry ice runs really although a friend of mine has a friend from a different forum who apparently has a few world records and used dry ice.

That dude didn't even use any condensation protection either lol. He just said "It doesnt do anything when it's frozen, it's only if it's liquid that it'll short something, besides it's just for quick benching and if something dies and I gotta RMA it, it's a pain to clean off the conformal coating" lol, screw that.

LN2 is extreme, I should be getting a pot sometime soon and using it with DICE or LN2. Single stage phase is best for 24/7. The catch to pelts is that they are expensive to get setup. You have to insulate using foam and Dielectic grease to fight condensation. Nubius good luck with your WR, I will be going for some sometime soon with my Conroe. :).

And DICE temps are about -80C depending on the design of your tube and how efficent it is. LN2 is -196C. Single Stage phase change can go from -50C to -20C. Cascades can go as low as -110C.

And there is no way DICE temps can creep up to 0C. As long as your not using water, remember use 100% Acetone as it has a low freezing point. DICE will probably go as high as -40C loaded. But dont quote because I have not tried it, as least not yet. :)

The catch to pelts is that they are expensive to get setup
Phase change is more expensive. It's like running a refridgerator with it's door open.

And there is no way DICE temps can creep up to 0C. As long as your not using water, remember use 100% Acetone as it has a low freezing point.
Well, as I said, since I don't have experience with dry ice, and haven't really looked it up, I'm not sure what temps people are reaching at full load temps. Checking on some now, but I could always ask my friends friend as well.

Chipset and video card will probably simply be water cooled with a bucket of ice.

i think i remember reading a thread by Cathar (designer of the storm water block) on OCAU where he was experimenting with using a peltier to cool liquid in a water loop rather than using the waterblock to cool a peltier and the system sat around -1 or -2 degrees.

correction to this. he used to seperate water loops, one cooling the hotside and a second loop using a block on the cold side of the pelt leading to a reservoir and then to his cpu block. i'll find the thread, it's a good read :)

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=141703&highlight=peltier+cooled+water+loop

Man........I freakin hate websites that make you sign up to their forums just to view a post.

No one will be able to view that unless they register nitestick and yeah.....I don't really like to sign up to forums just to check out one post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom