PCIe Frequency Setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaXoR

Solid State Member
Built my computer a few weeks ago and was setting up the BIOS. One thing I noted but did not change was the PCI Express frequency. It was set to 100 by default, but ranges from 100 to 200.

Motherboard: Newegg.com - EVGA 123-YW-E175-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Video Card: Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1267-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Can I / Should I change it up to 200?

No leave that alone. I don't know exactly what it does but everything I have heard says to just leave it alone. One guy on the EVGA forums said you can bump it up to 105 but it didn't seem to change anything when I did it so just leave it alone.

Oh really? Hmm I might have to try that sometime. I take it its not best to leave it up there or is it basically just another form of overclocking?

No, I wouldn't leave it there for daily use and yes its another form of overclocking. Between 105 to 120 helps and is pretty safe. Running any higher I would only recommend when making a 3dmark run. Boosting the pci-e frequency helps w/ more bandwidth and texture loading. IE: gain some fps while gaming and higher scores in 3dmark.

edit: Like any OCing just be careful when doing it.

thats odd, i read all over that increasing the frequency messes with the SATA controllers and can corrupt data, and cause general instability if overclocked.... is that not true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom