Not open for further replies.

zerodayATK

Daemon Poster
i have this old pc upstairs in my room Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows 98
OS Service Pack -
DirectX 4.05.01.9800 (DirectX 5.2)

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium II, 350 MHz (3.5 x 100)
Motherboard Name Intel Rochester RC440BX
Motherboard Chipset Intel 82440BX/ZX
System Memory 192 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (01/22/99)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA RIVA128ZX
Monitor Gateway EV700B [17" CRT] (104436984)

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel 82371AB/EB PCI DISK
Disk Drive GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE47
Optical Drive MITSUMI CD-ROM FX4821T!A (CD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status Unknown

Partitions:
C: (FAT32) 6137 MB (5908 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port

Network:
Network Adapter Dial-Up Adapter

Peripherals:
USB1 Controller Intel 82371AB/EB PIIX4 - USB Host Controller

i was wondering if you guys would know if this is worth keeping or if anybody would want the parts or if i should just throw it out? if you need anything else just post and ill see what i can get .....

thats like my old gateway from 96 or 98 lol, i say sell it to someone :D or use linux on it i dunno

Dedicated P2P Network PC
Upgrade the hard drive at much you can, BIT Torrent / P2P network downloading box.

Printer Server
Just get this computer into the network.
Attach a printer to it.
Tell every one else to send print jobs to that printer.
It used to annoy me at my last house that I was only one with a printer. It used to annoy me that I had my ex-housemate asking me to print out a 60 page document first thing in the morning while I was getting ready for work. So I scrapped together a PC and installed printer there. And told every one to print accross the network.

File Server Server
Upgrade the hard drive at much you can,
install a network card
put the computer onto the network
make the hard drive share so you can share files accross your network

MP3 Juke Box
Upgrade the hard drive to 20Gb
Install a good sound card. Like a old Sound Blaster Live will do.
Buy a good set of PC Speakers.
Install Windows 98
Install Windows XP Remote Desktop Connection software [XPSP2 5.1.2600.2180]
Install Win Amp
Put computer onto the network, and use it as an MP3 JukeBox.

You can either stream the music accross the network, or you can use remote desktop to log into the computer and play files directly from that PC to the speakers.

Online Phone Directory
See this computer up right new to the telephone.
Connect this computer to your broadband internet.
Make sure you have you internet brouser's home page set to your local phone directy (eg. Yellow Pages, White Pages, Pink Pages, City Search etc etc)
And now you can use the computer to look up phone number and services.

Harper said:
Upgrade the hard drive at much you can, BIT Torrent / P2P network downloading box.

also be good for storage and just share the local hard drive so you can access whatever you download.....

Avalanch3 said:
also be good for storage and just share the local hard drive so you can access whatever you download.....
that too. Or shared files for your network.
Eg. Game Maps and Patches you wish to share accross a network.

haha Im in a similar situation to you, i have a 600 mhz celeron on my hands. I got it for free and I plan on doing some stuff to it for fun. Overclock it to 800 mhz for one, and convert it into a SNES box with linux or windows on it (ill probably go with linux since ive no idea how to network a linux machine to a windows one) that can also bittorrent :). Also I hate having a printer in my room where my main comp is, this babys gonna be my printer computer.

Ridlyn said:
Overclock the hell out of it then, then roast marshmellows over it.
You mean like this?
bbqcomp.jpg

I have tons of old computer parts. Drives me nuts. I have about 4 old bubble screen 15" monitors, a complete Pentium 75Mhz with 128 MB 72 pin ram, a 4 GIG and 512MB harddrive, a classic CD-ROM drive with a PCI interface card. A 56K modem and I'm pretty aure a 14.4 KB modem, an external 33.6KB modem, parallel cable spiltters, 1MB PCI video cards, a 32X CD-Burner.

And my bro is using a P200 that I'll prob get cause I think he's upgrading soon. I put together a Pentium III for my dad running at 500Mhz I believe. It's a PIII for sure though. Just don't remember much about that comp.

It really sucks. So much junk. I compiled alot into 1 working computer, but being a P75 it's good for nothing really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom