~PC w/ some ISSUES~

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgrunner08

Baseband Member
I just built a new computer. When I push the power button, everythings powers up (all fans, light, HD). Then, after about 6 or 7 seconds, the PC just shuts off, w/o displaying a single thing on the monitor. Anybody know some possible reasons for this?

There could be a few things behind such a problem. I would try removing all peripherals (Hard drive, CD ROM, etc), and only leave the CPU with its heatsink and fan, video card, and RAM on the motherboard. Then try booting like that. No matter the results, post back after you have done that.

hardware conflict...

Basically it generally boils down to graphics card, RAM, motherboard or CPU...

Remove the graphics card and try powering the computer...obviously it won't boot but the thing to check for is if your computer beeps at you....if it beeps at you then try reseating the graphics card making 100% sure that it's correctly in the slot and try powering up...if it doesn't beep then you need to do the same thing with the RAM...remove it and see if it beeps at you...if it does then trying reseating the RAM.

If it doesn't beep after you've resat either component, but it beeped when the component wasn't in the slot, then chances are that component is faulty.

If it still doesn't beep it's the mobo or CPU...in which you'd need a seperate computer to try that out..

You can make sure your motherboard isn't grounded, but taking it out of the case, laying it on something like cardboard and powering up the system, making sure you're close to the case so you can plug in the PC speaker to listen for beeps.

If still nothing then you are left in the dark as to whether it's CPU or mobo...and if you don't have another comp, be it your own or a friends, then the only thing you can do is RMA both

Man, you rock! Alright, I disconnected the HD, and both CD drives. The thing loaded up the mobo splash screen and looked as though it would start up and now its just on the screen the shows like your system specs like IDE Master and Slave and that stuff. It says "CMOS checksum error - Defaults" loaded now what?

go into your BIOS and select "load optimized defaults" save then exit...hopefully it should work right at that point

The CMOS checksum is in place to protect your computer from a corrupted CMOS configuration. For example, if part of your CMOS config gets corrupted, the checksum will no longer match it, therefore giving you a Checksum Error.

Errors like that are somtimes caused by a dead/dying CMOS battery, or some random cause of CMOS corruption.

I would reset the CMOS via what Nubius said, or by using the jumpers that are on the motherboard, or by leaving the CMOS battery out for about an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom