PC Upgrades - What To Get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesLee

Solid State Member
Below are the specs of my computer, I've put in what I thought you might need to get an idea of how my compy has been built. This was made for me by some guy, and not purchased from PC World/Dell or anything, so I'm not sure how well built it is, despite it being the most stable PC i've ever had :)

But yeah, I want to improve it, the graphics card and processor seem to be a bit past it in my (not very clued up) opinion, but suggestions on what needs improving and what to would be excellent :D

--------------

Motherboard - Abit VA-20 / ECS KM400-M Deluxe / KM400-M2 / KM400A-M2 / V7-2

Motherboard Chipset - VIA UniChrome KM266 Pro / KM400(A) / KN400(A)

CPU - AMD Athlon XP, 1466 MHz (11 x 133) 1900+

System Memory - 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)

Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 (256 MB)

---------------

Um that's about it really. It's intended for gaming, and although I'm not after the mose powerful thing out their, I was wondering what needs chaning most, and recommendations on what to would be a lovely bonus.

What games do you want to play? W/ that setup HL2/CS:S will run on low settings, and BF2 will play on low. If you play older games like WC3, GTA3, etc.. then you're fine. Get at least a 6200+ or 9600+, because the FX series sucks.

Right now I'm playing a lot of world of warcraft :) It runs ok, but I'd like a better frames per second and be able to play it on higher settings. Same with recent first person shooters', I can run them, but they could look much better.

Then you want either a 9800 Pro or XT, or a 6600GT. I recommend 6600GT, they have PS 3.0 and can OC easier.

I recommend eVGA or MSI if you're gonna get the 6600GT, if you decide for the ATI, VisionTek or Sapphire.

well u wanna upgrade ur video card first then ur chip and mobo get a 6600gt if on a budget

Righty-ho, looks like I'll definitely get myself a new card then, and will most likely go for the 6600 GT.

There's a lot of different models of it, are there really any massive differences between them? I'm looking on ebuyer here see for the 6600GT's and I'm getting plenty of results, with quite a price range. Not sure which one to go for :)

Next up is the processor, stick to AMD? And how much of an upgrade should I be looking at?

Thanks a lot so far for your help though chaps.

AMD is good, you might have to OC that processor though, 1900+ is old to be playing WOW and such, you might want to go for a 2600+

And like I said for the 6600GT, eVGA, MSI, Leadtek, Giga, all good brands.

Ahhh sorry, I missed the bit above (it's late/early, not slepped yet ><).

I found THIS, and it seems to be at a nice price :) Bit worried about the size going by user reviews but I'm sure it'll be fine.

As for the processor, any idea which socket I should be getting? A/939/754?

Wish I knew more about this techy gubbins.

939 is the latest socket, and it is only used for Athlon 64 series. I recommend you get a 3000+ or 3200+, as the 64 series is the latest and greatest since sliced bread. As far as the 6800, what is that in US dollars?

Okies, thanks bud, I'll look at some of those :)

And that was in pounds,

£182.95 exc VAT
£214.97 inc VAT

$318.21 exc VAT
$373.90 inc VAT

Is that a good price? It just seemed nice and cheap compared to prices I see for other cards :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom