PC Slowing Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ere_in_cornwall

In Runtime
Hi I have the following system with the following-specs, I bought ot last year from PC World for £699.99, its starting to slow down and hang.? Ive got anti-virus installed, and anti-spyware software installed, has anyone got any ideas?

Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2
Pentium 4 Processor
Nvidia 6200 SE 256 MB
1024 GB Ram
260GB Hard-Disk
BT Broadband 2.2MB

Thank-you

I might be able to send a pc log for you guys to look at, but dont know how to?

A. It can only slow down ;) .

To me it sounds like a system error, or drivers error or some sort of spyware/maleware that already caused damage to system files.

Ways to check it out is:

first way is trying to do System restore after you boot into safe mode, if that fails:

boot into safe mode, reinstall video cards drivers and stuff like that.

Then, scan for spyware and maleware.

If all fails I suggest to re-install the O.S.

If that doesn't work then you should start thinking about hardware damage or maybe not sufficient PSU... could be all sort of things though

Format. You need to clear out crap every once in a while. There's probably a build up of junk so formating would be your best bet.

cwiz said:
^^second that... thats the only thing that has worked for me

Third'ed!! especially if you havent done any cleaning for a whole year, the crap built up would be horendous and take ages to clean up so best bet is re format i think and your pc will seem like brand new!

... You guys spam for no reason, I have already included this option in my own post.

But since people does not like to reformat so easily I also gave in addition some more options that might solve his problems, so why make another reply saying what I said in short words and then second and third it?....

Take no offense, I just dont find any sense in it though..

-Jo.

Crap Cleaner

Firefox

Spybot

Aside from these programs you may want to use a registry maintanance program such as Registry Mechanic 5 ... crap cleaner has a simpler registry cleaner but I like to use this. (I downloaded it off limewire for free, shhhh).

As mentioned above, you also want to defragment often. I use a program called Diskkeeper 9.0 which automatically does this for me.

Aside from these programs there are basic XP tweaks which can help your computer run more cleanly and efficiently. I like this website Tweakhound .

You can start cleaning up windows with the basics - reducing clutter on your desktop, only allowing essential programs to load on startup (drivers, anti-virus), and going to add/remove programs and taking off programs you don't ever use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom