Solid State Member
First off, here's my PC specs:

Motherboard: AsRock 775 Dual-VSTA
Processors: Intel Pentium D 945 x2
RAM: 2048 MB
Video Card: ATI Radeon X1300 Series
HDD: 120 GB Maxtor
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy

Wheenver I try to encode a video, my PC shuts off. I use PC Wizard 2008 to check my processor and mainboard temperature. According to PC Wizard, my processor's temperature is always around 70°C and my mainboard's temp is always around 50°C while my PC is just running and not really doing anything.

When I try to encode a video using Handbrake, the processor's temperature skyrockets to over 90°C. And I think it always shuts off around 95°C. I have three fans inside my PC. One on top, one on the side cover, and one on the main motherboard. I try to keep the inside and the fans clean to prevent overheating.. but that's not the case... I have tried setting my PC in front of an AC unit with the side cover off... and still it shuts off during the encoding process.

This is a custom built computer I ordered and I've had it for about 2 years now. It doesn't shut off while I'm doing anything else, though, just during encodes..

Any info would be greatly appreciated... Thanks.

70*C at idle is way too hot. You might want to check your BIOS for temps, those programs often get the temperatures wrong. The BIOS is more accurate.

You definitely need a better cooler. Check out the Zalman CNPS9500, Tuniq Tower, Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme, and the Gemini II. All great coolers, each around 40-60$. Buy some Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic MX-2 if you don't have any.

Ok. Thanks for the info. I did check the BIOs and it said the exact same thing. I also noticed that the CPU silent cooling fan option was turned off even though the fan was on. I turned it on, but it didn't change anything.

Hey, where exactly are the processors on the mobo? Are they directly under the mobo fan?

Before buying anything. Dust out the whole pc. Turn it off and blow dust out of the cooler and the case fans with compressed air or if you are windy enough that will do the trick. :)

Hopfully that solves the problem instead of having to buy a new heatsink.

Before buying anything. Dust out the whole pc. Turn it off and blow dust out of the cooler and the case fans with compressed air or if you are windy enough that will do the trick. :)

Hopfully that solves the problem instead of having to buy a new heatsink.

I already did that. I do it almost every weekend. The inside is as clean as a brand new computer.

I have two processors. Is it normal for both processors to go straight to 100% when encoding a video using NeroVision, Handbrake, etc?

When they both hit 100%, The temp steadly rises from 70°C to 70.5°C - 90°C+ in about 30 seconds.

One more thing, the rpm of the big mobo fan that sits on the motherboard is set to 2280 rpm and it never changes. Is this a decent setting for a fan that is required to keep two processors cool? I looked over the BIOs for an option to increase it but there doesn't appear to be any way to do so.

You definitely need a better cooler. Check out the Zalman CNPS9500, Tuniq Tower, Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme, and the Gemini II. All great coolers, each around 40-60$. Buy some Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic MX-2 if you don't have any.

Thanks. I'll definitely give it a shot.

You don't have two processors, you have two cores on one processor.

I honestly wouldn't even use that PC until you can get the temps squared away. It is going to melt, if it's going over 100*C. That's ridiculous.

Yes it is normal to have max load from encoding movies, it takes a lot of grunt.

You must change your processor fan I think it must be slow down due to dust and they do not give air to your processor heat sink. Your processor must be heat up due to this resin. Tell me what's your processor speed?

shakeel anjum A.57

holy canoly! That is rediculously unacceptable... I could blow on my cpu to keep it cooler than that.. this is what i recommend... Completly re-wire your case so it looks clean, replace all fans, heatsink/case fans, and than post back on your results.

70*C at idle is way too hot. You might want to check your BIOS for temps, those programs often get the temperatures wrong. The BIOS is more accurate.

All right. I got everything I need. I ordered Arctic MX-2 and a Zalman CNPS9500. How much of this MX stuff should I apply to the bottom of this headsink? I really don't want to over do it or add too little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom