PC Optimization - Any programs you swear by?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresh

Desktop Engineer
Think it's been 3 years since I've formatted my PC and it's been through a lot. I use registry cleaner,defrag, and just recently ran Ashampoo's PC Optimization Utility on it. I've noticed there are still random files and folders that aren't being used that I'd rather not have to go through manually and delete them all. If there was something out there that could scan the programs running in the background and just close the ones down I don't need that'd be nice too. And since I've been out of the PC loop for quite awhile, I haven't been able to keep up, and since forgotten some things. Any programs out there you guys swear by, or strongly recommend?

CCleaner, for files and registry.

O&O Defrag

BootVis

I used to have a registry defragger. the only decent one I see on MajorGeeks now is:
|MG| Auslogics Registry Defrag 4.1.5.52

Google for what services can be disabled... I can't remember the website right now.

Cleaning up your MSCONFIG Startup is a good step, too. As well as running a few adware/spyware scanners to clean out anything that happened to get rooted. Check Osirus' Spyware Guide for that.

Ccleaner for disk cleanup.

Diskeeper for defragmentation.

Bootvis, once in a while to check up on boot-times.

ProcessExplorer for checking up on resource hogs

I also disable unnecessary services and background processes.

Spybot for spyware scans, AVG for anti-virus.

The registry is usually left alone (due to previous bad experiences lol).

I also use separate partitions for the OS and page file (different drives). Seems to work very well, and my system runs as good as it was the day I built it despite having a lot of programs and games installed.

Wow Trotter, you use the same programs I do (CCleaner, O&O, Bootvis...) :D

Nod32 is a great AV because it uses very little system resources.

Registry Mechanic (registry cleaning)
Raxco PerfectDisk (defrag)
AdAware (spyware)
Trend Micro or AVG (AV / Firewall)
Eraser (file shredding and free space cleaning)

I've startin using a handy utility...VMWare. This way I can install apps on a virtual machine and test how it will run before I install it on my host PC. If I get any conflicts or resource drops then I know not to use it. I don't think I will ever go without VMWare again!

windows one live care has actually caught a few things that nod32 missed on my rig.
it seems to work pretty well for AV and firewall.
i still use o&o and ccleaner for the other things.

I use Nod32... very light inded. ;)

I forgot about using seperate partitions/drives for the OS and programs. I used to use partitions, but now have them on different physical drives. It gives a nice boost as far as data seeking/transfer goes, and makes defragging easier actually.

No firewall, as I have one in my router.

windows one live care has actually caught a few things that nod32 missed on my rig.
it seems to work pretty well for AV and firewall.
i still use o&o and ccleaner for the other things.

I swear by One Live Care too. It's a great program and catches pretty much everything. Low resource usage too. Only con is that it's limited in it's customization. You can't turn off Tune-Ups for instance, only make them every month. Other than that it's a solid program.

I can't see using OneCare. that's paying MS to cover what they should have covered in the first place. I do use Windows Defender, but only because it is free. I mean, I have already paid way more for Windows than it is worth... why do I want to give them any more for something that was broke to start with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom