Passive HS for 7800gt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the same confusion I am having. The specs say 38mm (heatsink only). To me HS includes the base but it looks a little big to be 38mm from base to top of the fins. But it also says the base is 10mm high...

Worst case scenario will be for a passive 8600GT - which will cost about the same.

I have been trying to get my PC as quiet as possible which has resulted in having all my fans at 5v (2 case and 2 CPU HS 120mm and 1 92mm). This has shown my graphics card to be quite loud in comparison, even at 25% fan speed in Rivatuner. The stock fan also appears to get stuck at default speeds (pretty loud) on warm boots.

My card uses a dual slot cooler and its basically silent and runs cool at 50% fan speed. Also, the case matters alot. You just ned to find the right cooler.....by telling us you want a silent pc, we can help you out a lot.

Someone on here is selling a passive 7950gt for around $100. i dont know if he still has it or not, i think he does.

I want as close to silent on a shoestring budget will allow - while keeping reasonable temperatures. My CPU idles at 37 and load (Orthos) at 52 (AMD 170 @ 2.5GHz). Before with fans at 12v (1200 - 1300rpm) cpu was at 32 and 45.

My northbridge HS will most likely block any dual slot coolers unless they are not very wide. (knew I should have gone with the TR SLI one) so HS above is ideal.

The V2 looks ideal but the fin density looks quite high for fanless operation and feel the Zalman VNF100 might be better being on top and so will share the CPU fan (sucking below cpu, pulling on top of HS). This has the same problem as before. Does the 38mm include the base? (definitely looks smaller).

Think it may do: Google Image Result for http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2321/1560803722_6cbdb2c4d3.jpg

HS arrived and works well. Next loudest item to silence is my 3 hdd though... :D

Temperature in Furmark (stress test): http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/Trifid/furmark.jpg Idle was previously at 56*C, not sure on load. Now it is at 43.

CIMG4447.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom