Partitioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandingo

In Runtime
I have a 160gb H.D. On it I have about 24gb of games on it, the Operating system, and pictures and other programs take about 10gb of the rest that is used. Is there a way to make more than one partition on my hard drive so that all my games are on one partition and my operating system and the other stuff is on another partition? Will that speed anything up? How do I do it? Does having a smaller (80gb) or bigger (160gb) h.d make anything faster or slower? I mean does a bigger hard drive take longer to gather information from than a smaller one?

Yeah.... I was just about to ask this question myself, so if anyone has an answer, let me know.

It can help defraging files that are frequently fragmented and it can help you organize your data.

You can use PartitionMagic.

Mandingo said:
I have a 160gb H.D. On it I have about 24gb of games on it, the Operating system, and pictures and other programs take about 10gb of the rest that is used. Is there a way to make more than one partition on my hard drive so that all my games are on one partition and my operating system and the other stuff is on another partition? Will that speed anything up? How do I do it? Does having a smaller (80gb) or bigger (160gb) h.d make anything faster or slower? I mean does a bigger hard drive take longer to gather information from than a smaller one?

the way i run my HDD config is i have a 250GB for music/video/other stuff. and i have a 74GB raptor for my OS and my games. honestly, i don't think it'd be worth it to reformat everything just to put your OS on a different partition than your games. it's way easier to manage all of your files on one partition.

It has been shown that partitioning can help read/seek times greatly, but personally, i have not seen much, if any, increase.

I have four HDD's split into 12 partitions. one for games, one for game backups, one for OS, three for music, and six for random data.

The one thing that is nice though, is defragging. Defragging a 50GB partition is a lot quicker, and nicer for me because i defrag often, than a 200GB partition.

Manual file sorting is a little easier, IMO, with more partitions.

http://partition.radified.com/

I have my 320 GB HDD partitioned in two. One for the OS and one for everything else. It seems to defrag rather quickly. I like it being partitioned because I feel that it is easier to find the files that I'm looking for.

The way a hard drive works...... It saves data going from the outside in. The outside has a higher velocity and it reads data faster. So technically, All of your apps that you install right after the os is installed work load the fastest. Partitioning helps because you can contain where the fragments will be, track wise. If you want ultimate performance off of a drive... you will need a second drive, slave it, install your programs on it so that they will be on the outer tracks.. Keep your swap file on your primary drive, so that way it will be able to utilize the main drive 100% while the app runs off of the second.

You have 1 drive. Have 2 partitions.. the OS and application\games on one.. and put other crap on the second. Put stuff on the second that you dont care how fast they open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom