Painting inside of case

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldernon

Baseband Member
I recently bought a Thermaltake V9 Marvelous Gaming Case.

Link:
Thermaltakeusa Â» Chassis Â» Mid Tower Â» V9 Series Â» V9 : V9 VJ40001W2Z

The interior of the case is plain metal and I would love to paint it black. Before I go to Walmart and buy some black spray paint :)P) Im wondering if there is anything special I need to do or think about.

Ive already removed all plastic accessories in the case, as well as fans. Ive also taped newspaper to all of the outside (already painted) parts. Is there anything special I should do to prepare it?

Is spray paint a good choice, or are there specialty paints I should consider?
How can I combat the smell issue of paint if I indeed end up using it? Its a gaming rig, so its going to generate a bit of heat.

Thanks everyone! :)

you are on the right track to painting it. i painted the inside of my antec three hundred with some black enamel. just be sure to use some primer and tape off the mobo standoffs so the paint wont get in the holes. the smell of the paint will go away in about a day. also while painting be sure to use a back and forth motion and hold the can bout 10" away from the case. and 3-4 light coats of paint are better than one heavy coat, so take your time.

You are well on your way. For bare metal painting get some sand paper at the local shop and scuff up all the bare metal, then use a self etching primer on the case. Standard primers and painting straight onto the case won't take as well and will probably start peeling. The self etching primer will help grip the metal. Then, over the primer, paint away.

Make sure to do it in a well ventilated area and let it sit for a couple of day before handling it to ensure the paint cures. I do mine with automotive 2 part paints from a spray gun and I let it sit for atleast 4 days before handling it.

What colour are you looking to paint it? The local autobody stores should have better quality rattle can self etching primers and paints than walmart will have, but will cost a bit more.

Thanks alot guys, I wasnt sure about the Primer :)

I also didnt think to go to an auto body shop, i'll hit one up soon. I'd rather pay the extra $ then have the paint peel off onto my parts :p

What colour are you looking to paint it?
Im going to paint it Flat black :) I dont think glossy would be as nice. I dont want the paint to stand out, Its more to match the outside of the case. The second series of the case I have, comes with a black interior.

I painted my Antec Nine Hundred black also. Link is in my sig, left side under the folding banner. Can't remember the details about the spray paint I used (it was from Menards), and I didn't use Primer.

Thanks alot guys, I wasnt sure about the Primer :)

I also didnt think to go to an auto body shop, i'll hit one up soon. I'd rather pay the extra $ then have the paint peel off onto my parts :p

Im going to paint it Flat black :) I dont think glossy would be as nice. I dont want the paint to stand out, Its more to match the outside of the case. The second series of the case I have, comes with a black interior.

This is what I use for flat black (two cans on the left) the gray stuff is the self etching primer and the black is obviously the flat black. I picked these up from the local NAPA autoparts that had a paint mixing department. The quality is excellent vs the standard hardware stuff, looks better and is more durable, stands up to knicks and scratches relatively well, although no spray can is great for durability.

I read you're post and saw all of you're lovely pictures <3

I really like how managed you're wires. The air hose was a great idea for you're sharp edges :) It looked hot!

Im on Vacation right now, and will be hme in a few weeks. I'll be sure to post how everything goes. I'll make a tutorial :)

This is what I use for flat black (two cans on the left) the gray stuff is the self etching primer and the black is obviously the flat black. I picked these up from the local NAPA autoparts that had a paint mixing department. The quality is excellent vs the standard hardware stuff, looks better and is more durable, stands up to knicks and scratches relatively well, although no spray can is great for durability.

Thanks for the image! Automotive is going to be my first choice.

I've used tremclad as well and it's not to bad and is cheap. I found it still worked/bound better if I did some sanding beforehand (BTW, if sanding remember to wipe VERY clean before painting). But the above stuff, for flat black from a can is the best I've found, is relatively cheap too, except you need the two cans rather than one.

It just feels wrong to me to paint without a primer :p

Meh I rather enjoy krylon... Or how ever it is spelled, adhears far better than cheapo spray paint... Sticks half decent with out primers and the such, just wish I had put some primer on mine before hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom