Painting inside of case - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 02:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Painting inside of case

I recently bought a Thermaltake V9 Marvelous Gaming Case.

Link:
Thermaltakeusa*»*Chassis*»*Mid Tower*»*V9 Series*»*V9 : V9 VJ40001W2Z

The interior of the case is plain metal and I would love to paint it black. Before I go to Walmart and buy some black spray paint (:P) Im wondering if there is anything special I need to do or think about.

Ive already removed all plastic accessories in the case, as well as fans. Ive also taped newspaper to all of the outside (already painted) parts. Is there anything special I should do to prepare it?

Is spray paint a good choice, or are there specialty paints I should consider?
How can I combat the smell issue of paint if I indeed end up using it? Its a gaming rig, so its going to generate a bit of heat.

Thanks everyone!

Old 03-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to philbar71
Default Re: Painting inside of case

you are on the right track to painting it. i painted the inside of my antec three hundred with some black enamel. just be sure to use some primer and tape off the mobo standoffs so the paint wont get in the holes. the smell of the paint will go away in about a day. also while painting be sure to use a back and forth motion and hold the can bout 10" away from the case. and 3-4 light coats of paint are better than one heavy coat, so take your time.

The only thing ATi can render faster than nVidia is the BSOD

SLI ON INTEL P45: http://www.techist.com/pc/f76/sli-intel-chipset-219886/

<<< i like rep :D
Old 03-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to jfenwick Send a message via MSN to jfenwick

You are well on your way. For bare metal painting get some sand paper at the local shop and scuff up all the bare metal, then use a self etching primer on the case. Standard primers and painting straight onto the case won't take as well and will probably start peeling. The self etching primer will help grip the metal. Then, over the primer, paint away.

Make sure to do it in a well ventilated area and let it sit for a couple of day before handling it to ensure the paint cures. I do mine with automotive 2 part paints from a spray gun and I let it sit for atleast 4 days before handling it.

What colour are you looking to paint it? The local autobody stores should have better quality rattle can self etching primers and paints than walmart will have, but will cost a bit more.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Thanks alot guys, I wasnt sure about the Primer

I also didnt think to go to an auto body shop, i'll hit one up soon. I'd rather pay the extra $ then have the paint peel off onto my parts :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfenwick View Post
What colour are you looking to paint it?
Im going to paint it Flat black I dont think glossy would be as nice. I dont want the paint to stand out, Its more to match the outside of the case. The second series of the case I have, comes with a black interior.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal_Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to Ethereal_Dragon

I painted my Antec Nine Hundred black also. Link is in my sig, left side under the folding banner. Can't remember the details about the spray paint I used (it was from Menards), and I didn't use Primer.
XFX Radeon HD 4870, SILVERSTONE DA700, Samsung 840 500Gig SSD MZ-7TD500BW, 3x WD20EARS 2 TB Green,
ASUS DRW-2014L1T (DVD), LG WH14NS40 (Blu Ray), Dell 2709W, Sony SDM-HS95P, Windows 10 Pro
The NAS Box: OFFLINE D-Link DNS-323, 0.1RC3 Alt-F firmware, 2x 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB EXT4 - NO RAID - 6 TB
Home Server: BUILD LOG!! - Supermicro SC826TQ-R800LPB chassis, X8DTN+, Dual Xeon E5620 (Stock),
4x Nanya NT4GC72B4NA1NL-CG (24GB Reg ECC DDR3), 12x MICRON MT36JSZF51272PZ-1G4G1FG (48GB Reg ECC DDR3), (72GB total memory)
2x OCZ Agility (60GB) (OS & Backup), 6x WD40EFRX (4TB) in RaidZ2 (14.3 TB usable), 2x Q Series HDTS225XZSTA (256GB) ZIL & L2ARC mirrored

Old 03-04-2009, 07:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldernon View Post
Thanks alot guys, I wasnt sure about the Primer

I also didnt think to go to an auto body shop, i'll hit one up soon. I'd rather pay the extra $ then have the paint peel off onto my parts :P

Im going to paint it Flat black I dont think glossy would be as nice. I dont want the paint to stand out, Its more to match the outside of the case. The second series of the case I have, comes with a black interior.
This is what I use for flat black (two cans on the left) the gray stuff is the self etching primer and the black is obviously the flat black. I picked these up from the local NAPA autoparts that had a paint mixing department. The quality is excellent vs the standard hardware stuff, looks better and is more durable, stands up to knicks and scratches relatively well, although no spray can is great for durability.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I read you're post and saw all of you're lovely pictures <3

I really like how managed you're wires. The air hose was a great idea for you're sharp edges It looked hot!

Im on Vacation right now, and will be hme in a few weeks. I'll be sure to post how everything goes. I'll make a tutorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfenwick View Post
This is what I use for flat black (two cans on the left) the gray stuff is the self etching primer and the black is obviously the flat black. I picked these up from the local NAPA autoparts that had a paint mixing department. The quality is excellent vs the standard hardware stuff, looks better and is more durable, stands up to knicks and scratches relatively well, although no spray can is great for durability.

Thanks for the image! Automotive is going to be my first choice.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

All you need is a can of Tremclad.

No need for all that prepping crap,It will bond right to the bare metal and its a heck of alot cheaper
Old 03-04-2009, 09:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've used tremclad as well and it's not to bad and is cheap. I found it still worked/bound better if I did some sanding beforehand (BTW, if sanding remember to wipe VERY clean before painting). But the above stuff, for flat black from a can is the best I've found, is relatively cheap too, except you need the two cans rather than one.

It just feels wrong to me to paint without a primer :P
Old 03-05-2009, 07:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Meh I rather enjoy krylon... Or how ever it is spelled, adhears far better than cheapo spray paint... Sticks half decent with out primers and the such, just wish I had put some primer on mine before hand...

Closed Thread