Paging file recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
5gb of paging file? Thats ridiculous.

Paging file is like added on ram, whenever you run out of space on you ram it goes onto your harddrive to help it get back on track. At max you should be using 4gb of COMBINED ram/pagefile. So just subtract the amount of ram you are using now out of 4gb and you got how much pagefile you should use. Honestly it really doesn't matter but all its going to do is take up unused space on your harddrive, which is a waste

So since I'm running 6GB of ram, set it to 0? Yes 6 is an odd number lol, i had nothing to do with the spare crucials I have so I threw them in with the G.skills. They're all rated the exact same and it didnt affect my OC or cause any stability issues, so I figure why not. More the merrier.

The more ram the better with vista because that means you can just keep loading it all up with prefetch :D Stuff will open up lightning fast.

The problem with PF, is a hard drive is much slower than RAM.

Once your RAM fills up, it goes to the hard drive instead. If you didn't have the PF available, it would just delete older files on the RAM and keep using the RAM.

If you're using XP with 2GB RAM, just put the PF at 1GB. This is 3GB total, and for most people, that will suffice just fine. For some it won't cut it, but you know who you are.

1.5x is TOTAL OVERKILL

I would NOT reccomend a 0 pagefile if your running 2GB of RAM even on XP, once I did that and as soon as I loaded up S.T.A.L.K.E.R., I got a BSOD.
If you're going to run a game that uses lots of RAM (Crysis, STALKER, C&C3 if you play big multipayer games, or against 3 or more hard AI players), of course 2GB is not going to be enough without paging file.

But most games don't take up enough RAM for it to be a problem. I've run HL2, Doom 3, BF2, and COD4 (all on high settings) on XP, with 2GB RAM and no paging file, with no problems.

I say, set the PF to about 1GB if your running with 2GB ram.
only really needed if you run some of the most demanding games on high settings, such as Crysis, STALKER
If your running 4GB, then I would put it to about 512MB just to be safe
with 4GB RAM, there's really no need for paging file, unless you're running some REALLY REALLY heavy applications, which you just don't really see in a gamer machine (something that Pixar would maybe use for video editing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom