Paging file recommendations - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-16-2008, 04:53 AM   #21 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
gurusan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,562
Send a message via MSN to gurusan
Default Re: Paging file recommendations

the paging file is needed for certain tasks...for example if you ever load up virtual DVD's and then run the install program you'll find it will take up quite a bit of your ram (like ALL of it, and then some)

Whether you'll encounter any problems depends on whether you'll perform any of the tasks that require a paging file. duh
__________________

__________________
|| 2500K @ 5GHz 1 thread, 4.8 2 threads, 4.6 3, 4.5 4 1.284V ||
|| P8P67-M Pro || 8GB @ 2133MHz ||
|| 5850 @ 1000/1225 || XFX 650W || Silverstone FT03B ||
|| 37" LCD TV || CM Hyper 212+ || Samsung 2.1 Soundbar ||
gurusan is offline  
Old 02-16-2008, 05:10 AM   #22 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Apokalipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 14,559
Default Re: Paging file recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmo0n View Post
I'm just going by what Microsoft says.
Microsoft says DirectX 10 can't work on XP. But we all know that's not true. They just don't want it to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmo0n View Post
I do think they no a bit more?
You'd think so. But then they go and do something like, make Vista.

Now, I'm talking from experience when I say you should avoid paging file.
I've got it disabled on my system (with 4GB RAM, and XP x64 edition), and it runs smoothly. I haven't had programs refuse to run, or run slowly because paging file is disabled.
Quote:
Anyway i was meant to post that you can set your paging file to 0 because he had 3 gig of ram
I agree. I'd disable paging file.
Quote:
but schools computers have disabled login's ? :/
wait, is somebody trying to tweak a school computer?
Quote:
And the only reason i was agreeing with Da viksta is because 1.5 is standard
The only reason it's "standard" is because people keep repeating the same misinformation.
Quote:
which does equal to near 5 gig (obviously to much)
yes, obviously too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurusan View Post
the paging file is needed for certain tasks...for example if you ever load up virtual DVD's and then run the install program you'll find it will take up quite a bit of your ram (like ALL of it, and then some)

Whether you'll encounter any problems depends on whether you'll perform any of the tasks that require a paging file. duh
The only reason paging file is necessary in that case, is because it needs the memory. Not because it needs to be a multiple of the RAM. (I'm not implying that's what you were saying though)

Though I've used Daemon Tools just fine without paging file, with systems that have 2GB RAM, or sometimes even 1GB.
__________________

__________________
Apokalipse is offline  
Old 02-16-2008, 05:46 AM   #23 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
gurusan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,562
Send a message via MSN to gurusan
Default Re: Paging file recommendations

yeah I was just saying that when mounting a DVD, since they are usually over 4gb that it will pretty much always max out your ram and go into the paging file. With CD's it shouldn't be a problem.
__________________
|| 2500K @ 5GHz 1 thread, 4.8 2 threads, 4.6 3, 4.5 4 1.284V ||
|| P8P67-M Pro || 8GB @ 2133MHz ||
|| 5850 @ 1000/1225 || XFX 650W || Silverstone FT03B ||
|| 37" LCD TV || CM Hyper 212+ || Samsung 2.1 Soundbar ||
gurusan is offline  
Old 02-16-2008, 05:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Apokalipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 14,559
Default Re: Paging file recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurusan View Post
yeah I was just saying that when mounting a DVD, since they are usually over 4gb that it will pretty much always max out your ram and go into the paging file. With CD's it shouldn't be a problem.
if the mounting program uses your RAM to store the image, yes. But that wouldn't be a very good idea. Most PC's even today are made with about 512MB-1GB RAM right now, sometimes 2GB (more so with enthusiasts, or people who build their own PC's)

If paging file is needed to cache the CD/DVD image, that kinda defeats the purpose of caching it in the first place (to store it in the faster RAM, instead of on a hard drive)

When I use Daemon Tools with a CD or DVD mounted (even an 8.5GB image), on idle, my system still only uses about 700-800MB idle - or if I used the 32-bit XP, it would use about 500-550MB or so
__________________
Apokalipse is offline  
Old 02-16-2008, 09:56 AM   #25 (permalink)
Techalicious
 
Redmo0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,566
Send a message via MSN to Redmo0n
Default Re: Paging file recommendations

Quote:
wait, is somebody trying to tweak a school computer?
The admin we have at our school is pretty good. But most of the time he is a bit suspicious. One time we think we caught him torrenting cause he brought his pc in and the bandwidth suddenly "disappeared"

Also he had to block over 1000 porn sites because the curriculum counsel was to lazy, but he didn't mind.
__________________
Back to stay?
Redmo0n is offline  
Old 02-16-2008, 10:45 AM   #26 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
ricanflow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Euless, Tx
Posts: 6,317
Default Re: Paging file recommendations

I like how my pc is running without the paging file, it does make a difference. I may up to 4gb instead, since i do music production, and all those equalizers, compressors, gates and reverbs and effects like to eat up ram. Havent used all 3gb yet, but better safe than sorry.
__________________
3DMARK06 = 20,341 (3.8GHZ)



Laptop
P7350 | GTX 260M | 4GB DDR2 800 | 320GB HD | X-Fi | Vista 64

Folding Rig/File Server

M775 | E1200 | Foxconn P9657AB
| Dual 8800GT | Antec NeoHE 500 | Barracuda 80GB | Wintec Ampx



ricanflow is offline  
Old 02-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #27 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 1,693
Send a message via MSN to Vaanish
Default Re: Paging file recommendations

1.5x is TOTAL OVERKILL

I would NOT reccomend a 0 pagefile if your running 2GB of RAM even on XP, once I did that and as soon as I loaded up S.T.A.L.K.E.R., I got a BSOD.

I say, set the PF to about 1GB if your running with 2GB ram. If your running 4GB, then I would put it to about 512MB just to be safe, but you can disable it if you want to.

Basically, I would make it so the PF + RAM come to a total of about 3GB on XP, and 4GB on vista.

Also, dont use the Auto pagefile, because if you do that then the pagefile will fragment really badly.
__________________
MSI P35 Plat // 4GB DDR2 1033 // HD 4870 // Conroe C2D e6300 @ 2.5Ghz
Vaanish is offline  
Old 02-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #28 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
gurusan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,562
Send a message via MSN to gurusan
Default Re: Paging file recommendations

lol 5x with 4gb of physical ram ftw
__________________
|| 2500K @ 5GHz 1 thread, 4.8 2 threads, 4.6 3, 4.5 4 1.284V ||
|| P8P67-M Pro || 8GB @ 2133MHz ||
|| 5850 @ 1000/1225 || XFX 650W || Silverstone FT03B ||
|| 37" LCD TV || CM Hyper 212+ || Samsung 2.1 Soundbar ||
gurusan is offline  
Old 02-17-2008, 11:53 AM   #29 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator
 
Nagasama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: probably on the lake
Posts: 6,956
Default Re: Paging file recommendations

i say just buy another 160gb hard drive. then you can use the entire thing for a pagefile.
FTW.
__________________
"nagasama no longer drinks tecate, or streaks out of the night for anything, and he has a fine wife so he has no use for your girlfriend...she is safe..."
Nagasama is offline  
Old 02-17-2008, 11:59 AM   #30 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
ricanflow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Euless, Tx
Posts: 6,317
Default Re: Paging file recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagasama View Post
i say just buy another 160gb hard drive. then you can use the entire thing for a pagefile.
FTW.
Lol, slow pagefile. I swear when i get vista (if ever) ill have 8gb of ram.
__________________

__________________
3DMARK06 = 20,341 (3.8GHZ)



Laptop
P7350 | GTX 260M | 4GB DDR2 800 | 320GB HD | X-Fi | Vista 64

Folding Rig/File Server

M775 | E1200 | Foxconn P9657AB
| Dual 8800GT | Antec NeoHE 500 | Barracuda 80GB | Wintec Ampx



ricanflow is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTF is a Bad Block? MikesCreation Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 18 02-24-2008 09:31 PM
Hard Drive Errors!!! Bad or Faulty HDD? mike4realz Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 3 09-19-2007 01:56 AM
seagate 80gigs failing.. acuariano Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 27 08-27-2007 10:43 PM
Another Hijack Log boo HijackThis Logs (finished) 17 06-26-2007 12:30 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.