P5n-d...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tknick90

Solid State Member
Now pending my memtest results (to rule faulty RAM out), flashing my BIOS yet again, and a little more tweaking, I'm going to conclude that the particular board I got is a poor overclocker, or the P5N-D is in general a poor overclocker. Either that or I just got a crappy CPU.

I'm considering getting a new mobo, just because I've had no luck at all with overclocking while using this board. BUT do you think its more likely that my particular CPU itself is a poor when it comes to overclocking? I'm kind of at a loss here, I don't know which of my parts is causing the bottlenecking. (hopefully I'll rule the RAM out)

Any suggestions. Do you guys think its more likely to be my motherboard or CPU?

Current motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131232

link broke. what cpu do you have? many would recomend the biostar p45 but are you looking for a sli chipset. if so get the 780i.

i have a p5n-d and with the latest bios i can get up to 1600FSB on safe volts....

Volts:
nb: 1.46
SB: 1.56
HT: 1.46
Ram/CPU: Auto (stock)

Its a fairly stable board, just not the best overclocker in general. thats not asus' fault. No 750i mobo has a reputation for overclocking well.... try a 780i if you want overclocking, it can do better but it still cant match p45s....if you want SLI, stick to this or a 780i....

Shumway, what voltages do u use for the mobo, out of curiosity...

link broke. what cpu do you have? many would recomend the biostar p45 but are you looking for a sli chipset. if so get the 780i.

woops forgot to include that, hear are all my specs

MOBO: ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66 GHz (@3.0 GHz)
GFX CARD: ZOTAC GeForce 9800 GTX AMP! Edition
RAM: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDRII 800 MHz (@900 MHz)
PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 600w

And no, I don't need to have SLI.

ok.... get your HT and NB volts to 1.46 each, and SB to 1.56v, unlink the RAM and FSB and set ram to about 900 like you already have and set FSB to 1500 QDR. that is a nice safe oc for the P5N-D that is tried and tested with me. since your CPU is 1066 FSB, it should be able to oc more given the 1600-ish limit on the mobo, which i have touched and cant break.... if not, set the volts to 1.4 for NB and HT and get it to 1333Mhz, that should not be stressful at all on the mobo since it can normally handle that speed at stock settings....then push up from there as you wish...thats how i did it anyhow....

if you want a new mobo get yourself a P45 or an X48 depending on the features you want....i'd vote for a P45, and i'll leave it to the intel chipset lovers to direct you to the mobo you should get if you go P45 :p

Thanks for the suggestions.

Do you think its more likely a problem with my CPU, or my motherboard. I know that's hard to determine without actually messing around the bios yourself, but what would be your best guess?

I've tried messing around with almost everything in the BIOS, the VCORE, the RAM voltage, timings. FSB speeds (obviously). And I haven't had any luck, so my guess is it's the motherboard.

I also have the P5N-D and have been able to achieve 3.8ghz with my E8400. Not a bad board at all. I don't flash the BIOS anymore though because I almost bricked it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom