P4 overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

daddy_ray

Baseband Member
I have a P4 2.8, with 512 DDR, Radeon 9200, 90 Gb hdd, 800 mhz FSB. I am having a general overheating problem and would like a few other ideas. It is contained and I am currently monitoring it, but perhaps someone else has had this problem and can be of some assistance. I have five fans total (not including the fans on the p/s) 2 in the front, 2 in the rear, and one on the side door. 3 suckers and two blowers. Any ideas or tips ???

Did you check the heatsink? Is it seated correctly with an appropriate amount of grease?

Are you monitoring the temp through BIOS or an app? BIOS is more accurate.

Is there a duct forcing the air directly out of the box? Mine has one that leads air directly from the heatsink fan to the back of the box and if that is misaligned it can cause problems.

Hope this helps.

u might want to customize ur case. If u have the tools and experience. What you need is a 120MM fan. Cut a hole (round) on the top and mount the fan there. Since hot air rises, that can be a really good solution for a exhaust fan. But i mean do what u want. I will try and find a step by step guide how to do it. Ive seen them before. Also, what kind of CPU fan do u have? Do u have TOO much grease on it? Do u have any grease on it?

man, i have the same specs as you, and all i have inmy case is a heatsink. and i have never overheated..

I am monitoring it under Bios and Winbond Hardware Doctor. It is running at 45 - 55 pretty consistently right now. It got hot earlier today, when I caught it, it was running in the mid 60's. Question: My CPU fan is running at 2700 rpm's. What kind of fan/cpu systems are any of you running ? I am not overclocking and Yes, I did put a bit of grease on. But I must admit, I did not put much. Fan filters are cleaned out. I think I will try reseating the CPU and resetting the heatsink/ fan and see how that works. Everything inside the case is wrapped up and away from the fans. I also see that some of you are running a water cooling system. How is that working for you ? Another question: How hot is too hot ? When will my CPU crack ?

daddy_ray said:
I am monitoring it under Bios and Winbond Hardware Doctor. It is running at 45 - 55 pretty consistently right now. It got hot earlier today, when I caught it, it was running in the mid 60's. Question: My CPU fan is running at 2700 rpm's. What kind of fan/cpu systems are any of you running ? I am not overclocking and Yes, I did put a bit of grease on. But I must admit, I did not put much. Fan filters are cleaned out. I think I will try reseating the CPU and resetting the heatsink/ fan and see how that works. Everything inside the case is wrapped up and away from the fans. I also see that some of you are running a water cooling system. How is that working for you ? Another question: How hot is too hot ? When will my CPU crack ?

theres ur problem right there. You have to get a better CPU fan. Before u do that, try reseting it but i dont think it will work. GO to thermaltake.com and look at there CPU fans. There fans are really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom