P4 OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theguywhobea

Solid State Member
Soooooo, I've been working on an old Dell Dimension 2400 that i had in my room so i could give it to my girlfriend so she could use it to play league of legends and I can get back my desktop that i built over a year ago but about a month ago let her borrow. Well so far i bought an ATi x1300 PCI card for it so it would be able to handle light gaming. stock clock speed on that was around 453Mhz but after a little bit tweaking, i got it running stable at 664Mhz. And this brings me to my most recent quandary, would it be possible to overclock the CPU in a computer like this? Like in the title its a Pentium 4 processor and its running right now at 2.4Ghz. Thanks for any help!

the only thing you can do is use an overclocking tool within windows which can lead to some pretty bad things happening to the pc. Dell locks their bios, as do all prebuilts from dell/hp/emachines etc, so you can't do any OC'ing through that.

You can always buy a higher speed P-4 processor for it if you're looking for a bit more power, otherwise you're basically SOL when it comes to Dell and overclocking.

yeah, two days ago i found a P4 at 3Ghz for 8 dollars shipped on ebay, and it also had 1mb cache vs the 512 my current P4 has, so its a win-win situation, I FEEL LIKE CHARLIE SHEEN

Be careful though, P-4 processors came in multiple socket types, and they are not cross compatible.

EDIT: I'm an F-18 bro.

Well, you were kinda right as in the processor that I got was a P4, although it was advertised as socket 478, it was defiantly not and I suspect it was a socket 775, but the real kicker was that it came with no pins on it, like as in, the side were it would interface with the motherboard, was perfectly smooth, I'm not sure if that is normal since I've never seen something like that, but I have since sent it back.

Yeah, all of the newer Intel processors, 775, 1366, 1156, 1155, are all "pinless" with the pins that make contact with the circular pads being part of the motherboard instead.

haha, so thats why I was so confused by it, the only processors i've used were either AMD, or the old intel ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom