P4 3.6Ghz Lga775 Processor at 73c deg!

Status
Not open for further replies.

samlinton

Solid State Member
I need some help.

I built a computer this week & after putting it all together it switches off every time just after POST/Bootup! Here are the componnents installed: Asus P5GD2 deluxe MB, P4 3.6Ghz 560 Lga775 processor, 200Gb MaxtorDiamond Max10 SATA Hard disk, MSI 128Mb NX6600GT PCI express Graphic card, Sony CD-RW drive, Floppy drive & I intend to install a Sony DVD-RW drive shortly as well as install Windows XP Home.

First few days during POST/Bootup I was getting a message stating, "OVERCLOCKING FAILURE" Enter Setup! I never touched any settings as this was a new build with new parts. Half of the time the machine turned off before getting into BIOS. The other half of the time I was able to get into BIOS but before I could get a good look around to check settings it Shut down! I came to the conclusion that there was something wrong with the Motherboard and that it didn't accept the 3.6ghz processor. I had checked this on the Web before I bought to make sure that everything was compatible. After looking at some Forums I was told to that maybe my BIOS needed updating! I looked at the ASUS website which had new BIOS releases but warned not to attempt as there is a risk involved if there is loss of power during Flashing of the BIOS! I downloaded the files onto a floppy disk but after reading the warning I haven't yet tried to attempt it.

After thinking about it I checked to see if the Heatsink & Fan which came supplied with the processor was attached properly to the processor. I took it off, then noticed that the Thermal pad had broken in two, part of it was stuck to the processor & the other part onto the Heatsink. I put it together again powered up, this time I got a message stating "New Processor Installed"
I thought I had now solved the problem. I was then taken into the BIOS had a good look around and noticed the monitoring feature. Looked at this & the Processor was reading 73c/74c deg!
It didn't drop nor climb! I thought to my self that seems to be a high temperture! I don't know what it should be but was suspecious all the same. Then off it went again! I could go nuts over this lot! After trying several times the computer wouldn't start again untill after about 5 to 10 minutes! I new that there was a heating problem, and was shutting down due to a safety feature. After several attempts the POST/BOOTUP is a little different. I didn't notice the OVERCLOCKING FAILURE, but it displayed a different message "No BOOT disk found" or something like that, "Please reboot with boot disk" or something of that description.

Can anyone offer any help or sugestions or help please! I can't get in touch with the Tech support with either ASUS or from the company that I bought the parts from.

Someone told me to scrape off the Thermal pad & apply Thermal paste insted and try that. Or is there something wrong with either the Processor or the Motherboard! And what should I do to solve the problem and what to do next?

This is the Temperture of the processor after just being turned on & sitting idle, god knows what it would be if I were to run a game or something.

Any help would be greatly welcome.
Thanks & sorry if this is long winded!
Sam

I would think it is a tempurature problem. I would try an aftermarket HTF and articsilver 5 thermal paster. This was the HTF I was looking at, but right now I am getting really good temps with the stock one

Thermaltake Silent 775

before u buy anything, take the heatsink out, (make sure u put thermal paste/have a thermal pad on it!!) and put it back in, making sure to take special care that it is LEVEL, cuz if it's not, it wont do it's job. Also, dont goop ALOT of thermal paste on there, a little bit goes a long way

Get some artic silver 5 for it. Your problem was that you somehow broke your thermal pad.

Samlinton, i did some looking around on that processor. I also could not find its processor limits. But since its made for LGA775 chips, it should accept it properly. Just remeber that the 3.6ghz is one of the top LGA775 processors. I was defending the fact that Intel processor do not have heat problems. This was awhile ago, but what i come to realize is that the LGA775's do. I also heard from more then one TF member, that the stock Heatsink works the best. I have never seen the LGA775's heatsinks. So i dont have the rite to forum an opinon.

I have seen alot of 70 degrees celcius LGA775. So that processor must be made to run safly and stable at those temps. Another thing, your case can have alot to do with it. Personally, i would modd may case. Add a few 120mm fans. With those placed properly, you can drop your temps around 20' degrees celcius.
Air cooling would really help those temps, i suggest leaving the heatsink on, and start some air cooling.

Here are 120mm Fans with 125-CFM.
http://www.frozencpu.com/fan-22.html

Here is a Stealth 120mm fan with 53-CFM.
http://www.frozencpu.com/fan-38.html

That temp isn't normal though. I am running a 3.4 LGA775 and mine is idling at 34-35 with the fans on normal and 36-37 with it in "quiet" mode. I have 2 Stealth 80mm case fans and the stock heatsink and fan. I am really wondering if all the talk about these chips running hot is do to the heatsinks not be properly seated. The thing is a snap on so I could really see it not attaching properly sometimes.

Idiotec, maybe that is true, but thier is alot of talk about LGA775's running hot. I think they might have a minor heat problem. But then your proof they dont, and then you have people complaining about heat problems.

Thanks guys, I'll have to look into this and see if this solves the problem.

Any more ideas most welcome!

Sam.

Most useful thing to drop those temps would be some cooling. Air cooling is very simple, very cheap. Those fans i suggest would really make a difference. Also, what kind of case do you have?

HI, I have my system installed in an Aerocooler AeroEngine JR case with 2 fans installed. 1 120mm/12cm fan at the front and 1 8cm/80mm fan instaled at the case side. I have ordered another 80mm fan to mount at the rear and to draw air out at the back. I thought that 2 fans would be enough but I'm going to put in another 1 anyway.
Thanks,
Sam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom