P4 2.4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 11-22-2004, 07:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default P4 2.4

Right guys i have a P4 2.4ghz
i am thinking of overclocking if its worth it.
what do u think i will be able to push it up to so its still stable?
any ideas? and do u think it is worth it in cash to performance?

Old 11-22-2004, 08:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to Rizinc4

Honestly, it ALL depends on your system. Your system may be able to handle more or less OC'ing than someone elses. All I can suggest is start off slow and steady and gradually move up until your system becomes a bit unstable (locking up, shutting down), then back it off a little bit. Keep backing off until you find that your system is stable, and you will have a successful OC!

Old 11-22-2004, 04:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Rizinc is correct in saying it really does all depend on your system. Every system is different, even if you got all the exact pieces you have right now and built a 2nd computer with it, it still wouldn't necessarily perform the EXACT same, just how computers are. So we really can't sit here and say 'It'll hit 3GHz guaranteed' because that's just not possible.

Slowly increase your FSB by 3-5 MHz increments, also if you can't lock your AGP bus then you need to get another motherboard, because raising the FSB raises the AGP bus which also raises your PCI bus which are set at AGP:PCI 66:33MHz and they HAVE to stay at those speeds, too much further and you'll start frying AGP and PCI components including your hard drives..

If you don't have an AGP Bus lock then your only alternative is upping the multiplier, but realize when you change the multiplier you are making a HUGE jump in speed compared to raising the FSB by 3-5.

Just make sure you have cool temps, AGP Bus is locked, you have access to your VCore voltage and just bump up the FSB 3-5 MHz, save it, check for stability and repeat, if it crashes upon trying to get into windows, then up the Vcore for stability
Old 11-22-2004, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

is it the 800mhz fsb chip with ht, if it is, i think its one of the best intel chips for overclocking. My friend can get his 2.4 c (800, HT) to 3.2 easy.
Core 2 Duo E6400, DFI Infinity 975X/G, 2x 512mb DDR2 667mhz, Albatron 7900gt, WD 200gb SATA, Samsung DVD-RW, Silverstone ST-50EF 500w PSU.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

I think this dude has some name brand computer like a dell or hp, and got a sick idea to over clock and decided to do it. I dont think you should go their.
Finished With TF.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to IcedSteve-o

I was kinda not sure if i should overclock my cpu, but now after reading this i think im going to try it. could u take a look at my sig and give me an estimate of how high i can push it??

P4 3.0ghz HT OCed to 3.75 ghz
1024mb pc3200 DDR
Asus P4P800 SE, Ai
Ati radeon 9000 pro
XazerIII Thermaltake case w/ window
Thermaltake volcano cpu fan
Thermaltake purepower 420watt
Closed Thread