overcloking noob advice plz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pros: Its easy to do, its a matter of replacing numbers, increased performance for free

Cons: Temperatures go up, you have to stress test otherwise theres instability, you could fry if you get selfish and over do it...

Thats the main reason a person would fry a CPU, but its a hard thing to do.... If one person gets a certain overclock thats really high don't expect the exact same thing..

Since you have an e7200, it has a 9.5x Multiplier, so start by replacing upping the FSB to 333 from the 266/267 of the original, then stress it with SuperPI 8M for a couple of hours, if it crashes or has errors then decrease your overclock or increase the voltage of the CPU

were do i do that? in bios setup ? building this baby was easy for me but im not very familiar with programing tho

ok i did that and now is runing at 3.16 from 2.53
but i dont know what you mean by streess it out with super pi 8m
i downloaded it and ran a calculation at 8m and it seems to be fine

by running super pi 8m what it does is it does the first 8 million digits of pi (it calculates them out) and what that does is puts the CPU under load and if it crashed while doing that, then your OC is unstable, but since it ran fine your OC is stable! Now what you need to do is keep increasing the FSB by 10 each time, boot up and run that superpi program again, and if that crashes then what you're going to have to do is increase the voltage which is easy enough. You're going to go back into the bios, and find voltage settings, and increase the vcore option. THIS IS WHAT CREATES HEAT!!!! BE CAREFUL!!! this is the only thing that you need to watch out for. It isn't as dreadful as it may seem, but just increase it a little. like +.05 and then boot it up and if that holds stable then start over again. Also once you increase the voltage download CoreTemp and watch your temperatures. I doubt you'll see any problems with the temps for a little bit, but just keep your eye out on them.

thanks for the info i went back to bios and i increased the fsb to 350 that makes my processor speed to 3.33 from a 2.53 with out increasing volts to it
superpi 8m runs with out crashing i try to make it go higher 360,365 but it gave me blue screen of doom so i set it back down to 350 im kind of a bit worry of raising the volts to it like i stated b4 is my new system and is kind of my baby lol
but what about overlocking graphic card and ram would it be wroth it would i need more cooling?

you should be able to oc the graphics card without needing aftermarket cooling. also raising the voltage can only harm the chip if you put way too much voltage into it. Like if you are running at 1.3 volts (just for argument sake) and thats stock voltage, but you crank it up to 1.6, yeah you might blow your chip. But all you're doing by increasing the voltage is decreasing the life span of the chip from around 15 years to somewhere in the ballpark of 10 years. So really there isn't any damage being done, and you get all the performance you want out of it ;) just if you do decide to try and overclock more don't let your voltage go above 1.5 and don't let your temps get above 65C (ish)

get this and stress for 8 hours atleast. I let it go for a day atleast because I've had oc's fail after 5 hours thinking it was enough and eventually it will blue screen. You don't want to be losing work like that.
|MG| Prime95 25.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom