Overclockling and tips..

Status
Not open for further replies.

golfpro646

Beta member
I have a water cooled system with a amd 64 fx 55 and 2 gb of ram and 80 gb 10,000 rpm drive and a Nvidia 7800 GTX.

I want to make it run faster..will overclocking make a big difference? Or are there settings in the bios setup I can change to see big improvements?

There are settings in the BIOS, that change the frequency and voltage of the CPU and RAM. I think to see a big difference is OCing it about 1.0+GHz.

overclocking the cpu may help from application lag.. but overclocking a videocard will require alot to boost your fps

my rule of thumb is that video card oc'ing should be left for the benchmarks.. why shorten the life of your card???

NosBoost300 said:
overclocking the cpu may help from application lag.. but overclocking a videocard will require alot to boost your fps

my rule of thumb is that video card oc'ing should be left for the benchmarks.. why shorten the life of your card???

You know, you shorten the lifespan of your CPU when you over clock it, too.

The point of over clocking isn't for long life, it's to increase the cost:performance ratio. If you can over clock a 100$ chip to reach speeds of a 300$ chip, then you are saving 200$.

Most people will upgrade long before their CPU dies anyway.

CrazeD said:
You know, you shorten the lifespan of your CPU when you over clock it, too.

The point of over clocking isn't for long life, it's to increase the cost:performance ratio. If you can over clock a 100$ chip to reach speeds of a 300$ chip, then you are saving 200$.

Most people will upgrade long before their CPU dies anyway.

Agreed, and with proper GPU or CPU cooling, moderate overclocking is not harmful at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom