Overclocking and Voltages

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin2041

Baseband Member
I was trying to Overclock my Core 2 Duo E6420 but I can't get my bus speed to more that 350 (or maybe even less). My friend got his processor up to 366 mhz bus speed.

I know that not all processors can overclock to the same degree but I'm pretty sure that it should be able to overclock at least 150%.

Do I need to add more voltage to the processor? If so, how much?

Also, is it recommended to get a better power supply? I only have a 380 watt supply right now.

Thanks,
kevin2041

when you increase FSB you always increase voltage.

Not necessarily. You can increase the FSB, without increasing voltage. It's only when it is unstable, that you would have to increase the voltage.

when you increase FSB you always increase voltage.

Not really...you increase the FSB until the CPU is unstable, then you increase the voltage. You don't increase both of them together every time.

EDIT: b1gapl got to it before me...posted at the same time though...lol

"I'm pretty sure that it should be able to overclock at least 150%."

thats saying hes trying to run a high FSB and still on the auto voltage.

"I'm pretty sure that it should be able to overclock at least 150%."

thats saying hes trying to run a high FSB and still on the auto voltage.

yea but ure first answer clearly implies that everytime you raise fsb you raise voltage.. which is incorrect.

Are you using the stock heatsink or something different?

Just to let you know, some mobos have holes on them, not literally holes but strap holes.

There are mobos that you cant set certain FSB due to the Northbridge straps.

Like my mobo, it is unstable from 350~399 MHz, but stable at 400MHz as it changes from 1066MHz to 1333MHz strap.

So thats why I lower the Multiplier instead and increase the FSB too 400MHz.

So example. I cant get 350MHz x 9 Multiplier which is 3.15GHz but I can get 400MHz x 8 Multiplier which is 3.2GHz and is higher Frequency. Weird huh?

So try lowering your Multiplier and increase the FSB a bit more to achieve the clock speed you want. Besides, its better to have lower multiplier but high FSB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom