Overclocking the vid card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flanker

Banned
There comes a time in every overclockers life, when overclocking their CPU is simply not enough. For those gamers who do not know the meaning of the word excess, they have to do more. More, involves overclocking their video card. [/Declaration of Independance copyright infringement]

*whew* Glad thats over :p Lets get down to business now.

eVGA GeForce 6600GT. Know how to overclock CPU. Don't know how to overclock video card. How. How. How.

Explain. Teach. Hammer. *Insert school word here.*

So bascially, what do I need to watch out for. What indication will there be when the video card has gone too far?

But basically, I'm just looking for how to overclock the vid card.

well for a beginner i would start off with gettin coolbits, that will unlock the overclocker in your drivers so when you go control panel display options and go to your video card tab your overclocking tab will be there.Then just start off slowly going up a little bit at a time. Then test in some games, look for lock ups and artifacting, also if your clock is just too high, coolbits will tell you that its too high and will set it back to the clock you had it at before.

heres a link to coolbits. And you do not have to reboot after setting you clock, just make sure you apply the clock and coolbits will quickly test to make sure the card will go that high then click apply and off you go.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Video-Tweak/GeForce-Overclocking-CoolBits-Reg.shtml

Here is a quick screenshot for what your looking for once you put coolbits in:
http://img68.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gpu3ym.jpg

Flanker said:

So bascially, what do I need to watch out for. What indication will there be when the video card has gone too far?

Lines on the screen or artifacting. I have a gigabyte card and it can with vTuner to overclock.

lines, which indicate too far of a memory overclock (slashes kind of)

and

dots, which indicate too far of a core overclock.

^^im not sure if this is correct, i read it somewhere lol

You should use RivaTuner instead of coolbits...coolbits will do the trick as well, but Rivatuner has a nice hardware monitor you can leave up that'll show you a time based graph of where your temperatures were hitting during teting.

Nubius said:
You should use RivaTuner instead of coolbits...coolbits will do the trick as well, but Rivatuner has a nice hardware monitor you can leave up that'll show you a time based graph of where your temperatures were hitting during teting.
^agreed. The temp monitor in Rivatuner makes it well worth it as you will definately want to know your true load temp when OC'ing, and you won't be able to get that from the nvidia software.

You will laugh when you see how easy it is to OC a GPU as opposed to the CPU, just slide the deal from left to right lol :p

So basically, increase core and memory, run 3dmark, or a game, look for artifacts, and check load temps. If all is OK, increase some more and repeat.

idiotec said:
You will laugh when you see how easy it is to OC a GPU as opposed to the CPU, just slide the deal from left to right lol :p

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! ITS SO FRAGGIN EASY! :classic:

Thanks for the help guys. Yea, before I even read these posts I'd decided to go with RivaTurner. Its seriously so easy, lol.

Only one thing keeping me from overclocing right now. RivaTurner isn't showing my vid card temp. No other sensor shows it either, its like there isn't even a S.M.A.R.T. sensor on the card. I have another thread running on OC Forums, so hopefully I can get that figured out soon enough.

And yea, Pzero, you're right, those ARE the symptoms of the Memory and Core overclocking.

thats because evga disabled the temp monitor in the video cards BIOS:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=1945&st=0

Go there and fix it, it worked on my evga 6600GT so no doubt it will on yours too

scroll down a little bit to the

"How to enable temperature monitoring on Nvidia GeForce 6600 cards" part where someone summarizes a link so you can just check it all there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom