Overclocking Strain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alecjahn

Daemon Poster
Does overclocking itself put the extra strain on the CPU or is it the raise in voltage (used commonly to reach higher speeds) that give is the main pounding?

I plan on overclocking, but I dont want to do anything that would shorten the life of my CPU... I would hate to buy yet another...

If I were to overclock as far as the stock voltage will stabily let me, (may only be hundred MHZ or so, but.. ohwell ) is there any real change in temperature, and overall life expectancy of the processor?

Thanks in advance.

CPu's last a long time now, several years i think. If you play games, then you will need a more powerful cpu before it dies. as long as the temps are kept low, then you should have no problems. and too much voltage can kill the cpu.

I dont know if it is just me but it sounds like you dont know what you are doing... I mean before you even try and overclock read up on some articles that you can find Via Google.. And what was the type of CPU you were trying to Overclock? What type of results are you expecting?

Oh I perfectly know what I'm doing, it's just I want to get some more insight and personal experience from people that I know are reliable (most people here) to add-to and double-check my knowledge.

I see your concern. Don't worry.

It will be a 2500 Barton, and I'm not looking for "holy hell" results or anything, just a modest performance booster (plus i like to see low temps, like ~40 Idle)

Btw I'm quite set on the HSF, as i just recently aquired a Tt Xazer 11 from some guy at a garage sale for a buck. almost perfect condition, but no tem diode or controllers.... Hell, thats what proggies like SpeedFan are for!

EDIT: Ok lets say I were to bump the fsb and voltage a little, up to 3200+ speeds.
If i kept my tempteratures under (maybe well under) 50C load at that speed, would there be a noticeable decrease in overall processor life?

processors last so long now, that you probably wouldn't notice a difference in life, only if the processor is running hot(50C or above idle). keep in mind that if you have no A/C(like me) you may want to declock it back to stock during the summer. One day it was so hot, all i could do was browse the net lol.

I would overclock mine to a 3000+( since my mobo does't support higher than 333 fsb) but for some reason, when i hit a multiplier of 13, i get a black screen( no bios, no beeps)

yes i agree with agex.. the temperature that results from the extra voltage coursing thru ur hardware is what damages ur hardware.. so if you have good cooling then that should now be a problem :)

Yup..what the two above guys said....if you're wanting to reach 3200+ speeds then technically the heat produced from the extra voltage is what kills your CPU. The transistors are so small and close to each other its just a matter that over time they basically become deteriorated...hence why computers just start to 'suck' after a couple years even if you're running the same programs as a couple years ago. Heat causes thermal expansion so everytime you boot up...the chip technically expands...then when you shut down it cools and shrinks...that repeated process wears down chips...some say its best to just leave the computer on...Buuuuuuut I like to conserve energy and its not like I got a stopwatch on my computers life expectancy. Don't worry about its lifespan. It'll be really long...unless you fry it....then the lifespan will instantly become 0 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom