Overclocking RAM + Cooling Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpikedCola

In Runtime
Kay. Ive got two 512mb sticks of DDR400 Kingston ValuRAM. Right now, stock, theyre running 3.0-4-4-8@200MHz (CAS# - RAS# to CAS# - RAS# Precharge - Tras, incase Ive got them in the wrong, nonstandard order, or something). Ive successfully taken it down to 2.5-3-3-8@200MHz and 1.65v, but a few minutes into booting, windows would bluescreen with a video driver error. In fact, this happens whenever I change ANY timing. It only went away when I put it back to 3.0-4-4-8. Am I not giving it enough voltage, am I changing a number that I shouldnt, or is it just crappy RAM?

Next question. Ive got five hard drives (four SATA Maxtor's, and one IDE WD) in the computer, along with being watercooled. If anyone remembers me posting in other threads, I said my idle was 47°C and load was around 53°C. I think Ive figured out why, and this picture below will explain it. As you can see, the hard drives produce a lot of heat, and the only exhaust fan, other than the PSU, is through one of the watercooling radiatiors (the other is built into the resevoir, in the 5.25" bay). Would it be possible, feasable, or otherwise a good thing, to add an 80mm or 120mm fan in the PCI slots blowing outward? (there arent any cards in the computer, except for a video card). Or will this disrupt some sort of circulation thingy?

explanation.jpg

With your ram, it's either bad ram that doesn't like to be oc'd or it's the voltage.

And with the harddrive disk, there's these copper things which you can attach onto the harddrive which helps to transfer the heat off and then your fans can probably handle the heat that's transed off, I can't remember the full name of those hdd attachable things, someone will probably know..

I have the same ram. It doesnt overclock well ...even if you get it stable, eventually your system will crash...so, dont overclock it> period.

With the fan thing, you wont know until you try it...for me ive tried various configurations and temps more or less always stay the same..what is it thats getting hot? you didnt specify.

Nothing is getting too hot, but the hard drives produce a lot of heat. I assume this is why my room is always warm, and why my cpu temperatures are higher than normal. I just need a way to get rid of the excess heat produced by the hard drives, which is why I suggested adding a fan blowing hot air out the back through the empty backplane, since there isnt a second set of fan holes under the rad (some cases support 2x80mm at the back, mine is set up for only one.) As for the ram, I guess Ill wait until I get my new system this fall to overclock =/ **** Kingston.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom