Overclocking question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbernie41

In Runtime
If I overclock my processor too much, what happens? Does it just like shut down and thats all? Or does the processor melt or catch on fire or anything? just curious:eek:

Once I was making a computer. And it wasn't working- so I dumbly tried to turn it on without the cpu fan.... It started smoking!!! HAHAHA! Sorry- that is irrelavent to your question...

-Eric

How do you know what a safe overclock is? And my motherboard supports C.P.R so does that mean is supports overclocking? Do I want to overclock? Is it safe? Will it void my warrenty??

-Eric

If u overclock my processor too much, the lifetime of the cpu will decrease, somtime if u o/c over limit, u system become unstable.

The lifetime of a cpu is hardly reconized as a problem as for most of us will upgrade every year... In a period of over 5 years it shouldn't even be dead. The only thing that kills a processor is running a higher voltage on it, so you want to keep it as low as possible althought enough as to not get unstable. Prime95 is a great program to test computer stability. Overclock it to your desires and run that program for hours on end =).

There's no such thing as a safe overclock speed, some chips could quite possibly have a problem with any overclock at all. It's all by chance really. Now it's rare to find hardware that fails within a 10% increase in speed, yet it's been known to happen. As any person that overclocks can tell you that you have to find your safe/stable overclock yourself. Push whatever your overclocking till it becomes noticably unstable, and then back down until you find a good overclock speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom