overclocking, power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebith75

Solid State Member
Currently I have a venice 64 3000 and am planning on getting some good ocz overclocking ram and overclock pretty hard core, I was wondering if my power supply is good enough to do it, i have heard power supply is important so will I we fine with this:
ASPIRE ATX-AS520W BLACK ATX 520W, it was like 55 bucks on newegg, do i have nothing to worry about with this, thanks

rebith75 said:
Currently I have a venice 64 3000 and am planning on getting some good ocz overclocking ram and overclock pretty hard core, I was wondering if my power supply is good enough to do it, i have heard power supply is important so will I we fine with this:
ASPIRE ATX-AS520W BLACK ATX 520W, it was like 55 bucks on newegg, do i have nothing to worry about with this, thanks

Check this out...

Older CPU - 20-40W
Athlon XP/64 or P4 CPU - 60-90W
Motherboard - 20-30W
RAM - 20W per 256Mb
PCI card- 5-10W
AGP card - 20-50W
5,400rpm HDD - 5-10W
7,200rpm HDD - 5-10W
10,000rpm HDD - 5-20W
Floppy drive - 5W
CD/DVD drive - 10-20W
Cold cathode lights - 3W
LED lights - <1W

Just do the math for a quick rule of thumb.

The power supply is one aspect of your computer you never want to go cheap on. It will take a while for the effects to show but soon you may see crashes, or worse, damaged components. Make sure you get a good name, not just get sold on that it's a 10 million watt power supply. Usually a safe bet is spending upwards of $100. Yes, it sucks, but I bought a cheap power supply once, it was a no-name that claimed $550W and my computer crashed all the time. That's another thing, the no-namers tend to exaggerate how many watts the thing really pushes out.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I have the Aspire Concord 500w power supply. I was going to get the same one you're looking at getting now, but I read some reviews and things, and found out the 520w power supply was slightly bigger than the one I have now. If I wanted to use it, I would've had to take out the exhaust fan on top of my case. I'm glad I made the switch, because when I got the Concord 500w power supply, it barely fit behind the fan. I don't know if that applies to you or not, but it's something you might want to think about. On the Aspire website in their FAQs, it says the power supply you're looking at was designed for full tower cases, which is why it is slightly bigger. So anyways... I have my RAM up to 240Mhz (from 200) and my CPU up to 2.4Ghz (from 1.8), and I've had my computer for almost a month now with no problems. But as snowpunk said, the problems don't always show up right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom