overclocking with ntune - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 03:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default overclocking with ntune

Is it possible to overclock and kill your video card? I have a 6600GT and I want to overclock it. Can I kill it in the process?

Old 01-15-2006, 03:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

don't use ntune, it's one of the worst programs you can use.

Quote:
Is it possible to overclock and kill your video card
Seriously think about that question dude. If you've read into overclocking at all, then you should know it's common sense that theres always the risk of permanently damaging hardware.

Bump up in small increments, watch your temps, run 3dmark03 and 05 and watch for artifacts. Do these simple things and you'll be aright. Use coolbits or (my personal fav) Rivatuner for OC'ing your vid card.

Old 01-15-2006, 04:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Flanker

Videocards though, you'd have to try really hard to damage it. The anti-burnout systems would kick in long before you killed the card. Its usually characterized by a large performance decrease (low 3DMark05 score).
Old 01-15-2006, 05:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

actually, overclocking is usually not very dangerous to your hardware unless you do something wrong. for example if you take off the heatsink and forget to put it back on, or don't put it on properly. although that's dangerous even if you're not overclocking

I've put an old TNT2 through a LOT of stress through overclocking, pushing it to its absolute limit, and it still lives today.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Videocards though, you'd have to try really hard to damage it.
yup, vidcards are basically the hardest things to fry, atleast IMO, unless you start going crazy with volt mods and such. I suppose though if you had it decently overclocked and weren't monitoring your temperatures and maybe had a hot room with poor ventilation it would die on ya
Old 01-15-2006, 06:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

video cards can usually handle more heat than CPU's
when I was running my TNT2 on really high clock speeds, feeling the back of the GPU could just about burn your finger. that was despite the cooling modifications I made
Old 01-15-2006, 11:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Hmm.. I think I'm going to hold off overclocking until its absolutely neccessary. I don't want to FUBAR my video card right now because I'm a n00b at this.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Flanker

Like I said, you'd have to really TRY to FUBAR it to actually do it. Believe it or not, carelessness WILL NOT destroy your card. There are safety features in the card especially for people like you
Old 01-15-2006, 03:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie

I'd still raise the AGP bus speed you'd notice a signifigant performance differance.. Make sure you have a good cooler on the card though as they tend to run 53C load stock normally.

Ntune is soso.. mostly for newbies but.. THat program crashes way too much IMO, I'd personally test with ntune and see how stable things are.. then set them hardcoded into bios. and use rivatuner for the graphics card. software overclocks are never really that stable in my experience