Overclocking my system
I'm new to overclocking, but from reading and reading and reading, I understand I do these simple steps:
1. Open Bios. Slightly increase mhz, frequency, (and voltage if needed).
2. Start computer. If it works, then run the benchmark, notice increases, check temperatures, run Prima95 for half hour, make sure everything works.
3. Slightly increasing the BIOS options some more.
4. Once I reach my goal of 3.5 ghz, stop. If any problems occur, set the mhz, frequency and voltage back down, until stable.
6. Once done, let Prima95 run overnight/all day to make sure system is completely stable, and then be happy. Yay.
I have an asus delux pt6 mobo, i7 920 cpu, a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 heatsink, 6GB of OCZ Platinum RAM, and a 120GB SSD harddrive (with Windows 7, 64bit) I have a Radeon HD 5870 coming in the mail now.
I opened my BIOS and all my settings were set to AUTO, with the only other option being to manually type in all the data myself. I had a lot of options to choose from, I wrote down the interesting ones:
CPU PLL Voltage:
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage:
IOH/ICH PCIE Voltrage:
Dram Bus Voltage:
CPU Differential Amplitude:
CPU Clock Skew:
CPUE Spread Spectrum:
IOH Clock Skew:
PCIE Spread Spectrum:
Since all these were set to AUTO (or manaully type them in myself) I didn't have any basis to start slowly increasing from, I was wondering if anyone could help me by telling me which options to change, and what's a good (very safe) variable to type in to start overclocking? I just leave the rest on AUTO?
A few other things were sleepstep tech (enabled), turbomode tech (enabled), DRAM timing control, AI overclock tuner, CPU ratio setting, DRAM Data/CTRL, REF Voltage on CHA/CHB/CHC, Dram Frequency, UCLK Frequency, and QPI Link Data rate. Are any of those something I should change? I heard I should disable the Sleepstep tech.
Thanks for the help, and sorry to make you put up with my newbiness, I have zero experience with overclocking and I'm trying to play it as saaafe as possible. I don't want to mess up my system! :P
I am want to overclock the CPU (and maybe RAM). The CPU runs idel at 35-40c, and after running PRIMA95 for 8 minutes it maxed at 72c. That is with the Noctua Heatsink, but I think I put too much thermal paste. After reading the appropriate procedures, I'm going to go to clean it off with some rubbing alcohol and reapply a smaller amount and smear it around with a plastic grocery bag. That should bring my temperature down and I'll start OC'ing.
Thanks so much!