Overclocking my 9500 GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxGangrelxxx

Solid State Member
Hi, I've never done overclocking before, and while I've watched some tutorials on Youtube, I wanted something tailored to my system.

Specs: (as my computer displays them in System)

Windows 7

Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU - E1200 @ 1.60GHz 1.60 GHz

(RAM): 4.00 GB (3.25GB usable)

System: 32-bit

Also, I'm not sure if this is relevant but it's a Compaq Presario SR5520AN Desktop.

All I'd really like to know is how to overclock my graphics card and get the most from my system when I'm running games.

I'll be playing Battlefield Bad Company 2, as well as Left for Dead 1 & 2.

I'd like a good gain to performance, without risk to my PC, as I don't have the cash for any repairs, but I find my Frame Rate pretty bad in most games for some strange reason.

Thanks in advance, please let me know if you need to know anything else.

Use evga precision.
|MG| EVGA Precision 2.0.3 Download

AS YOU HAVE A PREBUILT, TEmPS ARE GONNA BE, oops, a concern.

I usually oc a gpu by finding the max sold oc, and start there. Bump it up 20mhz, test with furmark or 3dvantage, or 3dmark06. Then repeat till it crashes or you see oddness on the screen.

If you want to max your oc, once you get issues, back it off by abit then go up smaller bits. then once it goes wonky, do each seperately...

Hey bro, you have an ovetclocking program like that for ati cards? Or can it only be oc so much using catalyst control center? Didn't wanna masks A new thread for that lol

I've recently overclocked, and my settings are now:

Core: 738 MHz

Shader: 1811 MHz

Memory: 461 MHz

Fan Speed: 100

I used Riva Tuner, and it all seems to be working fine. I got a couple artifacts at one stage, but backed it off, and it seems fine now.

However, I'm trying to play BFBC2, and my FPs are absolutely crap. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? What kind of settins do I need to change to further improve my FPs? Even on Medium or Low settings, the game is still really jerky. I'm also getting really bad ping, even on servers close to me. Not sure if it's related some how, I wouldn't think it would be, right?

I had poor ping before, so i got a program called Leantrix, which reduced my ping by about 80%... doesn't seem to work for BFBC2 though...

Anyway, I don't care about bad lag, i just care about my game running smoothly. Any help would be magic, thanks boys (an maybe girls).

technically evga precision will work for ati cards as its built by riva tuner... precsion is just really straight forward.

atitool s pretty straight forward too
ATITool - Overclocking utility for ATI and NVIDIA cards

I've recently overclocked, and my settings are now:

Core: 738 MHz

Shader: 1811 MHz

Memory: 461 MHz

Fan Speed: 100

I used Riva Tuner, and it all seems to be working fine. I got a couple artifacts at one stage, but backed it off, and it seems fine now.

However, I'm trying to play BFBC2, and my FPs are absolutely crap. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? What kind of settins do I need to change to further improve my FPs? Even on Medium or Low settings, the game is still really jerky. I'm also getting really bad ping, even on servers close to me. Not sure if it's related some how, I wouldn't think it would be, right?

I had poor ping before, so i got a program called Leantrix, which reduced my ping by about 80%... doesn't seem to work for BFBC2 though...

Anyway, I don't care about bad lag, i just care about my game running smoothly. Any help would be magic, thanks boys (an maybe girls).

you saddly have a weaker cpu. You could try reducing the res and see if things clear up. That'll most likely show if its gpu or cpu.

Sweet, thanks bro. I'm at work tight now so I can't look at that program. But will it let me oc my gpu past the catalyst control center limit?

Edit... I found this site but I'm not sure if it's outdated or what www.overclock.net/amd-ati/633816-how-overclock-your-amd-ati-gpu.html

Well my Res is currently in the game 1400 x 900 59Mhz or whater, i'm sure it's 1400 x 900, just not sure what hrtz. I set all the settings in the game to LOW and I'm still lagging horribly. I know my computer isn't the best, but this is rediculous. I can run World of Warcraft on ultimate, and get about 20fps... BFBC2 feels like it's running about 15 or less frames, even on the lowest setting. There must be some underlying reason for this. I should be able to at least play BC2 on medium settings. I can't believe I quit the console for this **** lol. Scuse my french.

If no one can help me, or my computer is the problem... could someone send me a PM of a good build, so I can save up some cash and build myself a new rig? Thanks. Or, I might just resort to going back to the console.

Well my Res is currently in the game 1400 x 900 59Mhz or whater, i'm sure it's 1400 x 900, just not sure what hrtz. I set all the settings in the game to LOW and I'm still lagging horribly. I know my computer isn't the best, but this is rediculous. I can run World of Warcraft on ultimate, and get about 20fps... BFBC2 feels like it's running about 15 or less frames, even on the lowest setting. There must be some underlying reason for this. I should be able to at least play BC2 on medium settings. I can't believe I quit the console for this **** lol. Scuse my french.

If no one can help me, or my computer is the problem... could someone send me a PM of a good build, so I can save up some cash and build myself a new rig? Thanks. Or, I might just resort to going back to the console.

Your CPU is mostly bottle-necking your entire system regarding gaming.
A dual core 1.6Ghz processor with 512 KB of L2 caches is pretty wimpy by modern standards. Your CPU is a little more than 3 years old. I recommend building a new system if you have the funds.

If you are considering a new build, it would be best to post a new thread. You will likely get much more responses and the "best build" can be easily decided with some of us critiquing the suggested builds of others.

Thanks for all the help. Though to be honest, I'm a bit lost. Especially with what you said, Paton, sorry lol.

A new problem has arrived for me now. After turning the PC off for the night, I've woken to find that after booting it up, my overclocking settings seem to have been set back to default, and when I run a 3d program (IMVU in this case) the graphics seem very... rough. All the edges of textures are jagged and look horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom