Overclocking IvyBridge (3770k) with Noctua CH14

TJCC0

Baseband Member
So next week i'll be ordering my parts for a long needed upgrade. Currently on an E8500 which is close to death xD.

I was wondering if any of you a. have had expereince/ seen how far the ivy bridge i7 can be pushed? The only results i've found were for i5.

I know that Sandybridge is still better for a higher overclock with regards to temps however i'm not going to be pushing my Ivy to extremes.

yeah due to the smaller cpu size. i think i read it was 40% smaller than sandybridge. then they just fill the gap with more gpu power.

I'll see how it goes temp wise and put a post up if anyone is interested xD

Actually, it's because of the tri-gate technology and the fact that they used TIM internally instead of flux solder.

But it is smaller as well ;D

Yeah the one thing that also persuaded me to go ivy bridge is if compared to a sandy at the same clock speed the Ivy is slightly faster and much more energy efficient. Also the pci 3.0 :p

They're physically the same size since they have to fit in the 1155 socket (same as Sandy Bridge).

Yes but the HD4000 gpu chip uses more space on the actualy chip hence why the gpu in it is mroe powerful. the Cpu size has been decreased so intel bumped up the graphics.

Took me a while to verify that but you're correct. (posted images cos that makes it obvious but it's backed up by writing as well ofc)
Sandy Bridge:
SandyBridgeDie.jpg

Ivy Bridge:
slide-9.png

My point was though, it is the newer tech and lack of solder causing the heat up issue. It isn't because it's smaller. If IB was simply a die shrink it would actually run cooler than SB. The HD4000 might be there, but if you have dedicated graphics it isn't even on. The only reason IB is hotter is because the tri-gate tech and lack of flux solder making contact between the physical cores and IHS.

Back
Top Bottom