Alvin.C

Fully Optimized
Hello,

My bro has a custom built system with the following specs:

- ASRock 775Dual-880Pro Motherboard
- Intel Celeron D 336 2.8Ghz Processor
- ATI Radeon 9200 128MB AGP Graphics Card
- 768MB PC2100 DDR RAM at 266MHz

His system runs cool at around 35°C so we'd thought we would try some overclocking.

Since the multiplier's locked, we slowly increased the FSB, starting from 133Mhz and raising it incrementally.

After a long while, we managed to get it stable at 3Ghz....a while after that, we managed to get to 3.2Ghz, eventually 3.3Ghz and each time running a variety of apps to test the system...

:( ...but we ran into problems at 3.4Ghz. Checked the CPU temperature...had only risen by 4°C so temperature was okay. But whenever we tried booting into Windows XP we were confronted with an ATI VPU Recover warning message. The graphics driver would try and reload, but each time VPU Recover would kick in. Graphical anomalies appears across the screen as well.

:( Had to drop down to 3.2Ghz, but further testing when running 3D Games also generated VPU recover. Same with 3.0Ghz after running 3D games for a long period of time. So we dropped down to stock speeds.

:umm: The CPU isn't overheating, so I think the problem is that raising the FSB, causing the AGP bus to increase as a result, is making the GPU unstable, generating a VPU recover.

Am I right in saying this...and if I can, how can we get around this :confused: ?

you need to lock agp/pci frequency to 66/33 , if you cant find it in bios then it means the chipset doesnt support it , in that case youll have to run it in stock speeds or get a new mobo..

Re:

Hello,

Okies thanks. Can't lock AGP PCI clock freq. in the BIOS...no support fot it :(... Nevermind :) .

...would raising the AGP voltage make any diference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom