overclocking i7-2600 no (k) and how to check if turbo boost is on

Status
Not open for further replies.

bvuong

Baseband Member
Hello,

I'm new to overclocking and was wondering if it was possible to overclock an i7-2600 no (k) and how to go about doing it.

I have a :
i7-2600
nzxt phantom
corsair gs800
8gb kingston ddr3 ram (4x2gb)
asus p8p67 motherboard
zotac gts250 1gb ram

is there a way to check if turbo boost is on or how would i know it is on

is there a way to turbo boost even higher? its currently stock at 3.4ghz and says it can turboboost to 3.8

not a good idea unless you do some mega heat sink and fan modding, i have a freind that did this and it melted part of his motherboard.
more cooling or happy frying :)

i was just wondering if it was even possible to overclock an i7-2600 i dont have the unlocked (k) edition

Yes, I will look into an aftermarket cooler perhaps an h50 but i heard that sandy bridges run very cool temperatures and was wondering if it was just mine that was running at that temperature or if others have a similar experience.

and its a two part question, my cpu is supposed to be able to turbo boost to 3.8ghz i was wondering when do i know tis being turbo boosted

Your CPU will turbo boost when it is under a certain amount of load. If your playing games,encoding ,or anything that is CPU intensive it will turbo boost.

For the turbo boost reach the 3.8GHz you must be using one core at full load. Try this, compress one file with winzip/winrar and while is compressing run cpuz and check the clock frequency.

You should download a system monitor, which will show you your CPU Frequency. I have got the i7 2600 no k version, I have overclocked the CPU to 4ghz. I had to buy a aftermarket CPU cooler (Cooler Master V8), my idle temp is about 30 degrees, when Rendering 2 hour scene in 3D studio max with 100% load on all 8 threads my temp does not go higher that 58 degrees. I'm very impressed with the CPU for it outperforms most of my systems at work. I'm sure it will outrun my i7 x-treme 3.33 at work, if it were not for its 12 tread capability. What a Processor!!!

not a good idea unless you do some mega heat sink and fan modding, i have a freind that did this and it melted part of his motherboard.
more cooling or happy frying :)

*Rolls eyes*

Your temps are fine on the other post but before you can even think about overclocking you need an aftermarket cooler.

I'm gonna have to say you don't know what you're talking about in regards to these new Intel chips. 5ghz with a 2500k on the stock heatsink is easy and safe.

i was just wondering if it was even possible to overclock an i7-2600 i dont have the unlocked (k) edition

Aside from the built in Turbo Boost, you really can't overclock the chip any more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom