overclocking help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 02:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default overclocking help

first, i want to say that im total overclocking noob, so when answering, please be patient.
so, i have Palit GeForce 7600GT and it's running at 560/700. it has stock cooler
first question is can overclocking burn or damage my card?
what is the easiest and the safest way to do the overclocking?
which software to use?
when i change the speeds of memory and core, how will i know for sure that these speeds are ok and safe?
and which speeds do you think that the card can handle (with the stock cooler of course)?

Old 01-23-2007, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
j12
Monster Techie

i can answer a few of your questions but not all of them.
yes overclocking can damage or fry your videocard.
to oc nvidia cards i would recommends rivatuner.

Laptop:
MacBook 2.2GHz Santa Rosa | 120GB HDD | 4GB ram
Desktop:
Intel C2D E6300 @ 3.2GHz | 4GB ram | 880GB total HDD space | Gigabyte P965-DS3 | eVGA 8800GTS 640mb | Corsair HX 520 | Audigy 2 ZS platnium | Antec 900
Old 01-23-2007, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

i recommend coolbits.
that way your overclocking configuration can be accessed through the nvidia control panel, which is handy.
i don't really think you can damage the card unless you start jacking with the voltage. or it gets too hot.
you go up in small increments.
coolbits also has a "test" function, and if you push the clock too far it will either reset itself to a lower setting or worse case scenario, it woll hang up and you have to do a hard boot.
you really don't need to worry unless you try to volt-mod it or like i said, mess with the voltage.
you will know the speeds are safe if:
a) it works
b) you need to monitor the stock temps...and then after overclocking, monitor the load temps.
you don't want them too high. i don't know about your card, but mine doesnt get over 50-55 fully loaded.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

an even noobier question: what's the reason for overclocking your video card? yes, i know NOTHING about overclocking...

edit: ok nvm i found out the answer....but i still know nothing about overclocking stuff...
Old 01-24-2007, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by kida
an even noobier question: what's the reason for overclocking your video card? yes, i know NOTHING about overclocking...

edit: ok nvm i found out the answer....but i still know nothing about overclocking stuff...
lol noob noob just kiddin. dude i notice a miniscule difference in my rig with graphics card overclocked. i just do it so i can press my little card as far as possible.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

The only real reason for overclocking a video card is if your fps is running on average like 15 so a few extra fps always helps. Another reason would be for benchmarks. Voltmodding makes a really big difference if your serious about it. You can get jumps of like 30FPS which can also allow you to run your games at higher detail without lowering your fps compared to before overclocking.

Closed Thread