Overclocking E6600 (stock HSF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBAsydney

Solid State Member
Should I really bother with a stock heatsink fan? I'm fairly new to overclocking and I'd like some input before I spend money on a aftermarket HSF or fry my CPU.

I've got the Antec P182 case, it was 2 120mm fans above and left of the CPU so it should do a part of the cooling.

Any help appreciated.

depends on what your current temps are and how high you want to o/c but i would say that yes an after market cooler is critical to overclocking. I wish i could give you more detailed advice but we need more info

Should I really bother with a stock heatsink fan? I'm fairly new to overclocking and I'd like some input before I spend money on a aftermarket HSF or fry my CPU.

I've got the Antec P182 case, it was 2 120mm fans above and left of the CPU so it should do a part of the cooling.

Any help appreciated.

I've oc'd my e6600 to 3.4ghz on stock cooling. very satisfied and buying another hsf for an extra 200 or 300mhz wouldn't make sense for me.

Push it to 3.0 and check your temps.
At 3.4, I idle at 38c(normal ambient temps) and during a hot summer day it idles at 43-44c. Not bad for cheap hsf.

Good luck

have you run a stress test? try downloading orthos and running for a half hour, if it doesnt go above 60 then its stable.

I actually haven't gotten my hands on the CPU yet :p, I'm just thinking forward since I can't wait till my new system will be up and running.

I was thinking about pushing it up to 3.0, if it gets too hot I'll invest in a aftermarket HSF.

Tölvutek | tolvutek.is

That one? I sure hope so because I really like the price on it.

If that will get me over 3 ghz I'll be happy :)

3.0? LOL, isn't it cold where you live? I'm in California and right now it's hot! Yet, my hsf keeps it cool enough to run my pc without crashing or freezing.
2months ago I installed that freezer 7 pro and didn't work for me. I must have got a lemon 'cus my temps actually went up instead of down.

Anyways, if your ambient temps are cool enough then no need to buy an aftermarket cooler if you're only going to reach 3.4 or lower. Higher than that then invest in a cooler.

As far as orthos, I suggest 2hours. I've read others recommending 24hrs...48hrs....dumb! withing those 2 hours you will get a good idea of what kind of temps you'll be looking at.

Good luck!

I have my E6600 at 3GHz with the stock heatsink/fan and I'm running at 33*C right now as I type this, and it idles somewhere around 25-28. I've never seen it go over 58 with orthos running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom