Overclocking a e5200

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
So I've read a few threads and am sure I'm doing something wrong...

psu=450vx
cpu=e5200
mobo= Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L

I've never oc'd Intel before, have always been an AMD guy but even there I've only OC'd a half dozen systems or so.

Anyways, am stuck at 3.0 which is nowhere near the limit of this chip...I've upped the multiplier to 12.5 but as soon as I go over a FSB of 240 it resets the OC upon booting up. The v-core is 1.2 which i've tried all over the map from the stock 1.2 up to 1.38...no change, keeps re-setting the FSB when I boot up.

So what am I missing....i know its something simple, someone point me in the right direction.

No fsb hole. That's an issue with some Nvidia boards.

The resetting fsb is odd though. Sounds like an BIOS problem. Are you sure there isn't a max fsb setting somewhere in the BIOS? There are max safe temp values and other things so it could be there. I really don't have much experience with p35s, so I don't know their quirks. I do know however the the e5200 is 45nm, so it is better paired with a P45.

Tom's hardware did a very invalid test of P45 motherboards a while back where they used Conroes instead of wolfdales, all of the board OC'ed far under their known limits. The same could happen the other way around with a P35 and a wolfdale.

Did you turn off dynamic energy saver or something like that? I think I remember hearing about it causing problems overclocking.

I've disabled:

C1E,CPU EIST, and TM2

I couldn't find speedstep....not sure what that is. Anyways, same problem, try's to boot a couple of times each time shutting down before posting (12.5X250) and then what i think is the 3rd attempt it resets FSB and vcore. In BIOS it still shows that fsb is set at 250 but has actually been dropped to 200.

Also of note, when I up the vcore to 1.35 and leave the fsb @ 240 where it's been booting in cpu-z its still registering as vcore 1.168. so bios shows 1.35 but I can't confirm the change in windows.

Also, when I set the 9.5 multi and fsb to 260 it won't post. Same deal as above and re-sets the fsb to 200 eventhough is stock speeds (2.47) that should be no issue at all.

So I'm seeing two problems:
1) v-core changes aren't taking (is that possible?)
2) FSB wont exceed 240.

EIST stands for Enhanced Intel Speed Step. So you got it.

OK, I think I know whats going on. Modern Motherboards have a safety feature, so that when they boot they will test the stability of the OC 2 or 3 times, if it fails, it resets the fsb to default. Your attempting an unstable OC. Check your ram, Check you temps. There is something that you aren't accounting for.

You haven't mentioned your memory settings. My guess is that your memory is unstable and you need to mess with it. That would explain why your oc is unstable. 240fsb is very low so the motherboard is in no danger itself.

Yup, am running latest bios....so must be RAM....newb question, i thought in an intel OC FSB didn't affect RAM (as compared to AMD), I haven't made any changes to RAM at this point, just the multiplier and FSB.

What should I change with the RAM to try and stabilize the OC?

[edit]Bios update registers changes in vcore now but still can't get past FSB of 240 without it resetting[/edit]

[edit2]BTW, temps are not an issue as far as I can tell....@ load am still under 50C[/edit]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom