Overclocking For Dummies Link/Resource

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayMiller8080

In Runtime
Hey guys. I am relatively new to building computers (just finished my first build last week) and I am loving every second of it. It's been a blast, and I'm just looking to expand on my knowledge. Something I'd really like to get into is overclocking (especially because I think my build can easily handle it), yet I don't know a single thing about it, especially the risks. I'd hate to do something dumb/risky, because I wasn't informed.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, maybe a link to a website or something, that can introduce the basics of overclocking? This way I could just come back with more specific questions if I have them, or when I start to actually overclock my components. I've tried just reading through the forums, but I have trouble understanding it sometimes, considering I that I have no experience with it.

Thanks for any help!

There are plenty of guides out there.
I don't know what Cpu you have, otherwise id give links.

I have an i7-920. Would an entire list of my parts help? I was under the impression you could overclock more than the CPU. If this is true I'll just edit this post to include my system specs.

The first one is VERY appealing, due to it's price after rebate.. however I know nothing about after market CPU fans. Does that cost 16 bucks for a reason, or would the difference between that one and the Dark Knight make it wise to wait another pay check?

Also, still reading through those guides. Seems to be a lot more to it than I expected. I guess I didn't realize overclocking one component meant overclocking the others so much. I'll ask those questions after more research though. I'll need that heat sink first eh? >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom