Overclocking doesn't seem to improve my pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

invisible_wall

Baseband Member
I have a Q6600 OCed to 3.1Ghz and I ran Prime95 and it's perfectly stable. However, I noticed that my speeds in games aren't improved at all (maybe 2-3 fps more) and that when I exit out of hardware intensive games like Oblivion or GTA4, my pc is extremely slow for like a minute afterwards before it goes back to normal. Yes, this happened before I OCed but I would expect atleast some improvements.

Is this normal? Is overclocking not that magic performance increaser I've been lead to believe?

Games are not exactly the one to see the improvement. You'll see a more significant improvement with a graphic card upgrade.

I think the PC being slow after exiting an intensive game is normal. Happens to me too.

You'd more likely see an improvement with conversion, rendering, or multi-task type processes.

Q6600
OCZ 2x1gb DDR2-800 ram (which I changed to 4-4-4-12 plus 0.2V in bios)
8800gt
EP35-DS3L

So this is normal? Whew, I thought I messed something up again >_>

At high resolutions, (like 1280x1024+) the CPU is required less and less for good FPS. At those resolutions, it is mostly the graphics card doing all the work. So overclocking your CPU won't really yield you much because it isn't be utilized.

Now, if your CPU was a major bottleneck to your graphics card, you might see a bit of improvement. However, a Q6600 doesn't bottleneck an 8800GT.

Also, the slowness after closing a game is the RAM being refreshed. if you upgraded to 4GB you would notice that less.

Heh, "high resolution". 12x10 is still considerably cpu bottlenecked. Once you hit 16x10, 19x12, and especially 25x16, thats when you start to take the cpu out of the equation. Also, higher clocked cpus usually help quite a bit more when using multiple video cards. Odds are that your video card is already the bottleneck on the game, so overclocking the cpu wont net you much extra.

Heh, "high resolution". 12x10 is still considerably cpu bottlenecked. Once you hit 16x10, 19x12, and especially 25x16, thats when you start to take the cpu out of the equation. Also, higher clocked cpus usually help quite a bit more when using multiple video cards. Odds are that your video card is already the bottleneck on the game, so overclocking the cpu wont net you much extra.

Yeah 1280x1024 is still a bit CPU bottlenecked, but not quite as much as say 1024x768. And anything over 1280x1024 is increasingly less bottlenecked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom