overclocking damage a sata harddrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trifid

Fully Optimized
I know that you can't overclock a harddrive, as I remember a post a while back about it, and it said about increasing the rpm, and having other stuff like having the pci at 100mhz...

but in my friends bios it says that overclocking may harm sata dervices. is it posible for it to be damaged?

Thanks Trif.

Under what option does it say that?

Overclocking doesnt harm your SATA drive, but there is whats known as SATA corruption which could mean it'd screw up your windows install. I guess it's because of the way your system communicates using the SATA lines opposed to the IDE or something like that.

One one BIOS they have an option in the Integrated Peripherals called "EXT-P2P Discard" and by default its set to 30us, whereas in this BIOS it's set to 1ms to prevent SATA corruption so I believe that's just taking that little extra time for info to get there instead of trying to go so fast that it cant keep up and/or cause troubles.

I would say this is false.

As Nubius suggested, your data may corrupt, possibly due to a problem with one of your chipsets during the OC, but I would say that is highly unlikely.

Actual physical damage to a hard drive would not happen though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom