Overclocking the Core i7 920

Status
Not open for further replies.

PH3N0M

In Runtime
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but as long as my cpu temp stays within range, is my overclock safe? Or, am I still running a risk of damaging something? I ask because I increased my BClk, whatever that is, from 133 to 177. Unless I'm reading something incorrectly, doesn't my cpu seem to be running at 3.8ghz? I'm using Core Temp and the temperature stays around 35c and I've not seen it get any higher than 45c under load.

tempsh.jpg

cpuz38.jpg

I'm on a stock cooler, copper core heatsink on a Dell XPS 730x. My fans are at 20% and I'm using Core Temp to monitor my temps.

Give realtemp a shot to confirm that number. I find it a little hard to believe 3.8 with stock cooling around 35C. That has to be idle temps. What happens when you stress it with prime95?

Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring
Prime95 (64bit) - 25.8 Download - EXTREME Overclocking

Of course it's idle temps. What's the warmest the Core i7 cpu can get without damaging anything? I've not stressed it with Prime95 yet but I'll do that. About how long should I let it run to get an idea of the stability?

About an hour. If you do not error in an hour you are pretty stable. If your cpu gets too hot then shut it down.

I hear the i7 runs pretty hot but I still would not want to see much more than 65C. Preferably in the high 50's

About an hour. If you do not error in an hour you are pretty stable. If your cpu gets too hot then shut it down.

I hear the i7 runs pretty hot but I still would not want to see much more than 65C. Preferably in the high 50's

Okay, I was guessing 55c is about as high as I'd want to let it go. Thanks for the info and I'll post my Prime95 results A.S.A.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom