Overclocking Core Duo Conroe with EVGA 680i

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallguy22

Solid State Member
I've run prime 95 for 12 hours and got no errors with a 3.0 Ghz. I just was wondering if anyone out there has a similar setup that they could tell me what they set their ram overclock and CPU. Especially what voltages they have the FSB set to, the RAM, and the CPU. I have a good air cooled NXT case which has 4 fans total, plus my hyper PSU has a huge fan on the bottom. I have a Zalman fan, the 50+ dollar one. My Prime 95 tests got me to 49 celcius.

I have this setup. any remarks about my ram and other components would be much appreciated with respect to the thresholds of what you've gotten the component to perform around.

EVGA 680I 775
Intel Conroe Core duo at 3.0 Ghz OC'ed
GTX 8800 GTS Vid Card (WITH THE MOBO NVidia EX DISABLED)
OCZ 2GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
(2) 74 GB WD Raptors Raid O striped with Games only
320 GB WD Sata 3.0 Caviar running XP and system files On C:/ Partion, Programs on D:/ partition, and E:/ for media
Hiper 580 Watt Modular PSU

any more information needed, i can send pics of my bios.
All my games are running smoothly except for the one i play the most....bf2.
It is locking up on me. I figured out my pIece of junk sound card was originally the problem, but now it's still doing it with my onboard. I had a x-treme fatality X-fi or whatever junk card from Creative. I have heard it has problems keeping up with the higher end cards. any suggestions there?

what are ALL of your voltages?

from reading a 40 page long thread on OCing a 680i i've come to the conclusion you need no less than these voltages:

FSB: 1.5v
MCP: 1.55v
SPP: 1.6v
HT: 1.55v

with those you will be able to get a much better OC with less voltage going to the CPU.

Ok,
Well, i actually had to reset my CMOS because i think my overclock was screwing up Battlefield 2. Actually, i Don't know what's messing it up, but I figured i would start again from scratch. Those 1.5v are a little high, and what is HT etc. I was overclocking the CPU to about 1.385... and had the FSB frequency to about 1680. That was stable (or so i thought) To where i was getting 3.0 Ghz speeds on the CPU.

Do you mean that with the voltages that high on those other things, the CPU doesn't need ANY extra juice? Remember, i'm air cooled here. I've heard that jacking the voltages, you are playing with fire. You have to do it a little, but i've also heard that anything around 1.5 is pushing it.

IF there's a bar to reach that is 10 foot tall, I want to go about at 7 feet. I'm not trying to get NASA computer Benchmarks. Just pushing it enough to get my money's worth with this sweet board, but at the same time not sacrificing my computer parts and frustration with lockups, etc.

I'll restart and get those voltages.

my defaults are:
Cpu= 1.31
CPU FSB= 1.2
Memory= 1.8
nforce SPP= 1.2
nforce MCP= 1.5
HT nForce SPP <-> MCP=1.2

What are the last three there? I know what the FSB, CPU, and memory are obviously, but i haven't the slightest clue about the others. I'm guessing HT whatever is hyper transport, but that is just a guess.

So do you think i will need to boost the CPU voltages at all if i do those other ones up?

oh and earlier i said i had a GTX...whoops, i have a GTS card 320 MB

my defaults are:
Cpu= 1.31
CPU FSB= 1.2
Memory= 1.8
nforce SPP= 1.2
nforce MCP= 1.5
HT nForce SPP <-> MCP=1.2

What are the last three there? I know what the FSB, CPU, and memory are obviously, but i haven't the slightest clue about the others. I'm guessing HT whatever is hyper transport, but that is just a guess.

So do you think i will need to boost the CPU voltages at all if i do those other ones up?

oh and earlier i said i had a GTX...whoops, i have a GTS card 320 MB

set your MCP to at least 1.55, SPP to 1.6 and HT to 1.55

uh, my computer wouldn't even boot at those. there must be some safety device i don't know about that won't allow me to do those voltages.

Eh, I'll just stay a newb with this and slightly overclock. I don't want to fry my motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom