Overclocking basics..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathawk

Daemon Poster
Okay, now first off, I know how to overclock... like, for a CPU, raise FSB, or multiplier if it's not locked and stuff.. set dividers for RAM, stuff like that. But I don't know the process on how to do that.. Like for example, how do you know when to stop, and then test to see if it's stable etc. And what programs do you use to find it's idle/load temperature..

And for GPUs, more of the same stuff. I know you can up the core and memory frequency, and voltage(sometimes.) but... what else.. how do you go about doing that, and how do you check to see if it's stable, when do you stop... all that stuff.

Also, I don't plan on overclocking RIGHT NOW, but by Christmas I want to start a bit ^^ SO EXPLAIN!!

First, you'll need a motherboard with good overclocking features. It must be able to raise CPU and memory voltage/timings as well as the basic frequency changes. (find memory with low timings)

The CPU will need a better HS/Fan in order to get rid of the extra heat.

Run your memory at a slower timing and overclock you CPU in small steps. When you run into trouble, raise the voltage slower until you get near 1.6v - don't go over as it will kill a lot of life.

After you find a good spot, adjust the memory speed.

Lets say you have a Core 2 duo, if you max out at 3.2Ghz, you can change your memory timings to 4-4-4-12 DDR2 800 (if this is the stock speed ~example~) - then you can change the divider to 1:1 to give 8x400 =3200.

Then you a program to stress the CPU (prime95, CPUBurn...) and run it for a couple days to check for stability.

Okay, first off, I thank you very much for spending time and helping me out. I think I very clearly understand overclocking a CPU now. The only other question I have is how do you know if I max out at 3.2ghz or not, or whatever I do max out as.

Now then, what about GPUs? ^^

read here , great guide and has taught me all i need to know to get started, also follow the link in second post a lot more information as well. you will know when you have max'd out when your system ibecomes unstable, then you just go back to your last settings.

GPU is easy. download a program like rivatuner or atitool, then bump it up 5-10mhz at a time and use the scan for artifacts feature in atitool to test the stability.

Okay, I've got a Radeon 9550 here, and I just overclocked it... I used that find max core and mem clock speeds, but once I got to a point I liked, I stopped. I'm now running it at 340/240. So how do I find out it's idle temp/load temp..?

I forgot to write that the multiplier must be moved to 8x first in order to run the memory at 400.

The only other question I have is how do you know if I max out at 3.2ghz or not, or whatever I do max out as.

Just keep overclocking until the computer will no longer run and go back to the last speed that worked. (You'll need to clear the CMOS in some boards after a failure)

I used 3.2 Ghz as an example. Each CPU will reach a different speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom