Overclocking A64 3200+

Status
Not open for further replies.

whateveryo

Beta member
hey. i want to overclock my athlon 64 but i don't really know anything about overclocking, so could you maybe give me some tips or tell me some things i should do? here are some of my specs:

athlon 64 3200+ (clawhammer) s754
asus k8v
1gb (512x2) ocz pc3200 ddr400 ram (2-3-2-5)
thermaltake 420w psu
thermalright xp-90 heatsink

and my temps right now are about 32c idle and 41/42c load.

Increase the FSB by small increments to begin with, and I'd recommend only overclocking it to the maximum that the default voltage is capable of. Monitor your temperatures and system stability for a few days, and if all seems fine, increase the voltage and slowly increase the FSB once again.

Once you get over 55-60 degrees under load, I would recommend stopping until you have better cooling availible. Also remember to make sure you aren't overclocking the memory or video card at the same time, unless of course you feel they can handle the heat.

Just so you know when you raise the FSB, if your motherboard doesn't have an AGP/PCI bus lock then you'll be increasing the bus speed of both of those which can result in frying of your AGP and PCI components, even hard drives.

Make sure you can set the AGP to 66MHz in the BIOS, that's default and it should stay there.

Also if your CPU and RAM are on a 1:1 ratio then like gaara said, you need to watch out because, overclocking the RAM requires more patience and tweaking than the CPU does

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom