Overclocking The 940BE & some q's about overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarksideShuffle

Solid State Member
lately ive been overclocking my cpu. I'm not that great at it but i took a shot! if you have any tips or tricks it would be highly appreciated!

As you can see I've been using the Cinebench 11.5R benchmark to gauge the overclock. though right now i have the cpu @ 3.75GHz because MSN wont work whenever the clock is higher then that...

440.png

basically all ive done is up the voltage and multiplier. But I hear that overclocking with the FSB is more stable, is that true? and if so how would I overclock using the FSB.

If your currious the cpu runs at about 43°C idel and 54°C full load. with a ambient temperature of 27°C. but once winter comes around im gunna do some suicide runs outside in the -25°C weather ahahaha!

Thanxx in advance
Darkside

The FSB (or BCLK on i7 systems) is usually set either by a program that came with the motherboard or through the BIOS. On my i7 930 I got a much better overclock by turning down the multiplier and increasing BCLK (the equivalent to FSB), got 4.1GHz using 217x19 and it is stable, but 200x20 is not.

I'm not sure how this relates to AMD systems but I wouldn't doubt a similar effect can happen. Note that changing FSB does change your RAM speed, so if you push it too high you'll either have to lower your RAM multiplier or increase your RAM voltage. You probably won't be able to push your RAM very far so turning down the multiplier is usually the best option if you want to increase your CPU significantly.

AMD systems usually reach higher clock speeds by increasing the multiplier, as well as using the HTT bus speed for more minor increments. (eg getting ~3850 instead of 3800)

Anyway, what's your motherboard?
a board with good power regulation definitely helps overclocks.

Also, Phenom II chips clock higher the colder they get. So anything you can do to drop temperatures will work.
In some cases, it might be using less voltage that will increase stability, due to the lower heat output.
But if temperatures aren't an issue, then higher volts does tend to allow higher clocks - Phenom II's are generally pretty tolerant of voltage, as long as temperatures are reasonable.

AMD systems usually reach higher clock speeds by increasing the multiplier, as well as using the HTT bus speed for more minor increments. (eg getting ~3850 instead of 3800)

Anyway, what's your motherboard?
a board with good power regulation definitely helps overclocks.

Also, Phenom II chips clock higher the colder they get. So anything you can do to drop temperatures will work.
In some cases, it might be using less voltage that will increase stability, due to the lower heat output.
But if temperatures aren't an issue, then higher volts does tend to allow higher clocks - Phenom II's are generally pretty tolerant of voltage, as long as temperatures are reasonable.

Ill keep that in mind, The motherboard I'm using is a Asus M3N-HT Deluxe.

The FSB (or BCLK on i7 systems) is usually set either by a program that came with the motherboard or through the BIOS. On my i7 930 I got a much better overclock by turning down the multiplier and increasing BCLK (the equivalent to FSB), got 4.1GHz using 217x19 and it is stable, but 200x20 is not.

I'm not sure how this relates to AMD systems but I wouldn't doubt a similar effect can happen. Note that changing FSB does change your RAM speed, so if you push it too high you'll either have to lower your RAM multiplier or increase your RAM voltage. You probably won't be able to push your RAM very far so turning down the multiplier is usually the best option if you want to increase your CPU significantly.

Thank you for the advice, I'll turn down the multiplier and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom